CA IT Asset Manager Review

We have a better view of our hardware, warranties, depreciation; but needs a mobile component

Video Review:

What is our primary use case?

Because I'm coming from a university, we're really decentralized, and everybody has their own silo where they put their information. Using CA Asset Management is really helpful because it allows one silo, itself, for all this information, where everybody can log in and take a look at it and add resources or whatever configuration items. And then they can also connect it to other tools as well.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization now understands what type of products they have: warranties, how long the warranties last, depreciation. We never really knew what our depreciation values were, so it was really nice to have that on hand as well. It gives us a better view of our hardware, which is really beneficial.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more mobile. I'd like to have it actually manage mobile devices. It really doesn't, and I'd like to have a mobile application just for asset management. If somebody wants to take a look at, say, a contact record, and see all their assets, it would make it a little bit easier.

It's been around for years and we haven't had any problems with it. It's been pretty stable.

The licensing model is "meh," but technology-wise, it will meet our needs.

Any time I've had issues with it, I call technical support, or open a ticket. They've been really responsive. They've gotten a lot better since four or five years ago. So, dramatic difference.

I would say the last version, when we actually set it up, was pretty complex. When we upgraded these last few months, it was pretty straightforward. Single installer, really easy to do. If they errored out, it would tell you what the error was. It was pretty easy this time.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of criteria when selecting a vendor, I would say it's the reputation, but it's also about the technology. I don't want to go to a some company that says, "Yeah, we've been here for a hundred years," but their technology is stale. We'd like to stay on the cutting edge and get really nice technology, and from a good company.

I would rate it a seven out of 10. Does it have its flaws? Yes. The UI, even though they upgraded the UI, it's still kind of dated, it's a little bit convoluted to use. It's not like something that you can sit down and automatically understand how to use it. But the ability in it is really nice. It's a really powerful tool, and once you learn how to use it, it's really something that's worth learning how to use.