CA NetQoS Performance Center Review

We use it for monitoring our network, MPOS, and top-trending interfaces that are either over-utilized or under-utilized, though it'd be nice to do multiple domain authentication.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature I think is the ability to go in and perform updates yourself. You can change around any of the parameters and different types of dashboards you want. If you want bar charts or heat maps or anything like that, you can go in change the different graph types.

I also like some of the canned dashboards that come out-of-the-box -- the infrastructure, server, and services overview.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for monitoring our network, MPOS, and top-trending interfaces that are either over-utilized or under-utilized. We're then able to change the bandwidth of those accordingly and save money.

It also help us with the back-end stuff, such as authentication as we have people all over the world trying to log on.

Room for Improvement

It would be really nice if you could do multiple domain authentication as opposed to just a single domain.

Use of Solution

CA Performance Center is relatively new for us.

We have 40-50 users right now, though we'd like to get it out to all our end users and to all of IT so that they, too, can monitor their stuff. But until we can have some type of standardized authentication or multiple-domain authentication, then it's not likely that we'll scale more than that.

We worked with John Wittie until he retired from CA. He was absolutely essential in getting it installed cleanly and up and running.

Other Solutions Considered

We never really evaluated other options, but we did look at EMC Smarts and IBM Tivoli.

Other Advice

You should start slow and have a definite scope of work that you need to get accomplished. Pick one thing that you need to get done and implement it. Start with that, and then you can expand from there instead of trying to drink from the fire hose and get all that information brought in at the same. You need to try to limit your scope.