CA SYSVIEW Review

I really like the XSYSTEM functions in case I'm having trouble logging on to an LPAR.

Valuable Features

The CICS option is used very frequently. For myself, I mostly use the z/OS part. I also really like the XSYSTEM functions in case I'm having trouble logging on to an LPAR.

Improvements to My Organization

We have automated the monitoring of our CICS regions and CICS transactions. This leaves much less manual monitoring for the CICS people than before.

Room for Improvement

The creation of dashboards could be made much easier, such as the way it is done in BMCs MainView for example. Currently, you need to do some programming to create dashboards, which is time consuming and error prone. A dashboard you can create in seconds in MainView takes much, much, more time to create in SYSVIEW.

We have never had any issues with stability. The product runs without any problems. On the rare occasion that there is a problem, the recovery is really good, so there was never an outage of SYSVIEW at all.

We have had no issues with scalability. Additionally the product needs fewer CPU resources than other products.

The technical support is very good. You always get an immediate response as to who is taking care of your issue, and you get regular feedback of what’s going on. Normally the cases are solved in a much shorter time frame compared to competitors.

We previously used Omegamon. I think we switched because of financial reasons. Probably CA made a quite good offer, but this was before I started here, so I don’t know about the details.

The setup is not really complicated, but there are many configurations options, where you can easily get lost.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I can’t say anything about pricing and licensing as I’m just the techie and have nothing to do with contracts.

Other Solutions Considered

The decision for switching to SYSVIEW was made long before I started here.

Other Advice

Start with a small and easy configuration and get it running. Make yourself familiar with the product, then switch on additional features one at a time and get familiar with it. Otherwise, you may get lost in options, features, and parameters. The product is quite comprehensive.