CA SYSVIEW Review
I use the SMS space management extensively, and the features that allow me to look at dumps and dataset allocations

How has it helped my organization?

When we changed to JES3, the programmers didn't have to know anything. The product provided the same interface with the same look and feel.

What is most valuable?

I use most of the SMS space management extensively, but also the features that enable me to look at dumps and different dataset allocations to the system, and performance data from the queueing and delays.

I also really appreciated all the work that everybody did to get it functional for JES3, and they continue to do so, even though IBM said they are going to do away with JES3.

I've really appreciated that, as MBS and z/OS have expanded features, SYSVIEW has been right there in step, providing updates and access to those features. It gives the commands the front-end through the product.

What needs improvement?

The things that I would think about would be in relation to JES3. However, I don't know if they'll be able to do much more with that because I don't know how much longer IBM is going to be supporting JES3. So I can understand not doing additional development. But if I were to suggest something it would be the JES3 initiators, the JES3 queues.

It confuses a lot of people because there are so many features, but when they see me bouncing around they say, "I didn't know it did that, I didn't know it did that." It takes a long time to find all the different features that are available.

More than five years.

I give stability a nine out of 10. Anytime I've had a problem, they've been right on top of it.

Scalability is a 10 out of 10. I've worked directly with the product manager, and they've been very open to scale to whatever. They jumped on adding JES3 when I asked for it. I thought that was a big thing.

I rate tech support at 10 out of 10. They've always been very friendly. They look to find what my problem is and try to help me get through it.

IBM has SDSS, the closest thing to competition.

SYSVIEW just has more features. When I first started, SYSVIEW gave me an interface to VSE/Power and the queues, the JOBSUM feature; access to Java output. I've grown to use a lot of the functions, SMS group, SMS data, SMS management, all the things to look at the SMS stuff.

I chose it because it covers a lot of different product all in one. Flasher and DADS for the CICS people; SDSF for SPOOL; and lots of MVS tools that I don't need by having this one product.

One of their other products is called CSM, Chorus Software Manager. I was involved with that since beta two. It helps with the download so getting it up and running is very easy.

It's a very complex product, it's got its finger in a lot of things, but it comes up really quick.

It's a little steep, but there are a lot of other functions that it brings together. It gives you one window to look through to get to a lot of different features.

The more products you have from CA, the better pricing they have, the more you can get them doing more things for you.

What other advice do I have?

CA offers technical advice. They'll come in and they'll show you all the bells and whistles. I think that's a really good thing. They'll come in and help you tweak the product to get the most use out of it. You have to ask the sales team, and they'll schedule somebody.

This is probably their best product. I look at this product and I think it is the best in their fleet. It's hard to say what I would want them to do better, other than, as I said, JES3.

I've been using it since the 80s. I've always found it to be very helpful, so anytime I get the chance, I recommend that we implement SYSVIEW.