Carbon Black CB Defense Review

Scalable, lightweight, and easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

The product is an endpoint security product. It's kind of like a replacement for a traditional antivirus.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the strong features of the product is its endpoint visibility. It gives you more visibility than a traditional antivirus would give you.

What is most valuable?

The visibility provided has been great.

The ease of deployment is definitely a great selling feature.

The stability is good and the product is pretty lightweight.

The solution scales well.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved. Some of the built-in reporting isn't ideal. They have an API and everything you need that you can kind of hook into the product pretty easily, however, it'd be nice to have some built-in reports instead of having to seek them elsewhere.

The solution needs expanded endpoint query tools.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The stability of the solution is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It seems to be a little bit lighter on resources than our previous antivirus.

The product can be scaled pretty high. We have about 3000 sensors deployed. However, it can go a lot higher than that. It depends on your internet connection for the reporting or the information, basically.

We have kind of a desktop security team that is about five individuals that administer the product part-time, and that can access the console. A couple of them are the ones that spend the most time in it.

We use the solution extensively and we may look at expanding the EDR  - stepping up to one of the other products and adding capabilities. Therefore, we're likely to increase usage in some form in the future.

Technical support needs some improvement. They don't seem to respond so well to technical help. The good thing is we don't need that much, however, they need to probably improve that a little bit for others who might require more assistance.

We had McAfee antivirus and it was difficult to tune the policy without compromising security, I would say. Its footprint was a little high. Its performance wasn't that great in terms of end-point performance.

The solution is easy to deploy. The implementation process is simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

While the rollout is pretty easy, you have to kind of tune it a little bit for applications as it discovers them.

To deploy a sensor, it takes just a couple of minutes or so. Then, to kind of tune the policy itself, you are probably looking at a couple of weeks.

Initially, we use the services provided by the vendor, like an on-ramp kind of service. They were great. The team was pretty helpful.

We pay about $15 a node. It's just a standard licensing fee and that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I've been using the latest version of the solution.

The sensors are on-premises, however, the console is in the cloud. It's a VMware product that runs on Amazon.

I'd advise those considering the solution to seek out some of the training to see if you can get it bundled in with the deployment. The more advanced training, to kind of how to tune the policy and stuff like that, would be helpful to have.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten as there's still room for improvement in things like reporting. However, the impact on performance and the ability to have greater visibility were pluses in my book.

More Carbon Black CB Defense reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with CrowdStrike Falcon
Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.