CentOS Review

Helps Us Keep Things Simple Yet Very Secure

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the Desktop & Server platforms and the availability of multiple repositories of apps and tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We use CentOS together with Apache for certificate verification. The platform has helped us to keep things simple and yet very secure, allowing us to meet the requirements with surgical precision.

What needs improvement?

I've found certain issues where I couldn't find any documentation to help me solve them. But I guess it's a case by case situation where popular problems have a lot of chatter about how to resolve, whereas certain problems don't have as much.

Daily use for a little over a year.

None so far.

Didn't have the opportunity to go to a bigger scale, since our business was just starting out.

Haven't had the chance to use it.

No. We started and created our solution around CentOS.Not at all complex. Anybody with basic Linux knowledge can install the server and almost anybody can easily install the desktop and get themselves familiar with it over a week

Not at all complex. Anybody with basic Linux knowledge can install the server and almost anybody can easily install the desktop and get themselves familiar with it over the course of a week.

Nothing.

Ubuntu.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you've read about the installation steps and best practices for securing the servers once the OS is installed.

v6.5
More CentOS reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about CentOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.