Cisco ASA Firewall Review

Good at blocking threats and pretty reliable but needs a better user interface such as web interface for easier create policy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for basic firewall configurations such as NAT, FORWARD PORT and Block TCP-UDP Port.

How has it helped my organization?

My company is very small just built last year, i now am using cisco asa 5510 for NAT and Port Forward and limit users access directly from internet only via Remote-VPN.

What is most valuable?

The ability to block threats is its most valuable aspect.

Most clients in Laos use the basic setup, which works quite well. It ensures that nothing can get onto the local network.

It's pretty reliable and allows for isolation capabilities within the network.

The ADSM is very good.

I like that I can use the command line. I use a lot of Cisco and often work with this. If you are comfortable with the command line, it's quite good.

What needs improvement?

The user interface isn't as good as it could be. They should work to improve it. It would make it easier for customer management if it was easier to use.

Cisco does not have a lot of web management. We have to use ASTM server management to make up for it.

I've been using the solution, give or take, for around five years at this point.

When we need assistance from technical support, we typically deal with the team in China. They've been very good. Whenever I have a problem, they can resolve it. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support we get.

We typically offer clients a few different solutions. For example, we may recommend Fortinet.

For a new user, the initial setup may be a bit difficult. For me, since I am comfortable with Cisco, it's pretty straightforward. A new connection has its own complexities. It may be a different thing on Java SDK. There may be some programs that may not be able to access it.

In Laos, clients don't have much wiggle room when it comes to cost. The economy right now isn't very good. Most just choose the basic solution in order to avoid pricey licensing fees.

subscription payment

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We use it in our office and suggest it to clients. However, we don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

We try to adhere to our client's needs, and therefore, if they specify hardware they want to use, like Fortinet, we tend to accommodate them.

That said, if they ask my opinion, I usually recommend Cisco ASA.

I know a lot about the product and I'm good at controlling everything. I have a lot of knowledge and understanding after working with it so closely. That's why I tend to favor it when my customers ask for advice.

Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. If the user interface were a bit better, I'd rate it higher.

More Cisco ASA Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Cisco ASA Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,748 professionals have used our research since 2012.