Cisco ASA NGFW Review

It helped us and our customers to implement more granular and flexible connections to and from our/their environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us and our customers implement more granular and flexible connections to and from our/their environments, building a trust relation between all of us, having the confidence that our exchanged information is occurring in a highly secure manner.

What is most valuable?

The most valuables feature of this product are given by the comprehensive VPN solutions it offers and its tools for troubleshooting and debugging. You can provide complex and flexible way to securely access private environments. And its troubleshooting and debugging tools allow you to identify, in the fastest time possible, where some potential issues could have been occurred.

What needs improvement?

It should have an additional “operating mode”, like a “candidate configuration mode”, where you would have the possibility to test the changes you are going to implement and also the possibility to validate these changes.

In addition, a "testing" feature should be performed to let you know what would be the consequences of applying these new changes. Only after you would see the tests’ results (if they do not create any unwanted effect) would you go and commit them.

There were some issues with stability prior to code version 9.2.x, more related to Clientless SSL and Client RA VPN solutions. Some bugs affected the integrity of these type of features.

There were no problems in terms of scaling an existing solution, though very expensive.

I would give a rating of eight out of 10, compared to others vendors. The technical support is much better than most vendors, but let's say not as good as F5 Networks technical support.

I've only worked for integrator or ISP organizations. Over the years I’ve worked with multiple solutions offered by different vendors due to my customers’ budgets or preferences. What makes it the best of all the solutions I’ve worked on is the stability and its hardware.

The initial setup configurations differ from customer to customer, from very simple to highly complex solutions. Depends on the customer’s needs.

I have to admit that the price is high. But I think it's worth it if the stability of your solution counts for you.

What other advice do I have?

Choose it if you aim to have a stable environment.

Free Trial

Start your two week free trial.

1 Comment