Cisco ASA NGFW Review

User-based firewall rules are helpful but the solution needs to be more reliable

What is our primary use case?

Firewall and VPN.

How has it helped my organization?

I can't really say how it has improved our organization, but the benefits are that we have a necessary firewall with which we can create VPNs.

What is most valuable?

Pro user-based firewall rules.

What needs improvement?

The solution that we have right now doesn't do what I want it to do. We don't have a ratified solution for all the things that I wanted to right across our business. We're doing similar functions using different technology and I want ratification. I want to be able to do more than what we are currently able to do with the existing service, all under the umbrella of improving security.

The product crashes. We have a cluster of firewalls and we regularly get failovers.

I have used technical support once, and they were superb.

When selecting a vendor, the most important criteria include:

• Security - the ability of the technology from a security perspective.
  • The ability of the company to support the technology - knowledge of the product by the company. It may sound really silly to say that, but you'd be surprised how poor some companies' technical support is.
  • The financial stability of the company.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was complex.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research, know what you want to achieve.

Cisco ASA needs to be more reliable. Because of the nature of the product, it has to be rock solid and, unfortunately, it's not.

Free Trial

Start your two week free trial.