Cisco ASA NGFW Review

The product has saved us a lot of time, and once we deployed the solution, it worked

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we are just using it as a firewall, mostly to protect our internal SQL network (our primary network). At the moment, we are not using Cisco Firepower for our services. We just use it as a firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

We have multiple secure internal networks linked with our plants. We are from a oil company, so we have multiple plant areas which need to have restricted network access. Therefore, we are using it for restricting access to the plant area, where they cannot directly connect onto the Internet.

What needs improvement?

It does not have a web access interface. We have to use Cisco ASDM and dial up network for console access, mostly. This needs a bit of improvement.

Most of the time, when I try to run Java, it is not compatible with ASA's current operating systems.

It should have multiple features available in single product, e.g., URL filtering and a replication firewall.

More than five years.

It is very stable. We have routers entirely from Cisco, which are still working after ten years of deployment. I would rate the stability as a nine out of ten.

We have two people maintaining it. It does not require intensive work. We have an expert in switching technology, and another person who is knowledgeable in routing and network security.

The scalability is good.

The technical support of Cisco is very good. Nowadays, you can get anything over the Internet. They provide help over the Internet. There is a very full forum, which is manually supported.

The initial setup was completely straightforward.

However, we have to rely on Cisco ASDM to access the firewall interface. This needs improvement. Because we have a web-based interface, and it is a lot more user-friendly.

Deployment takes two or three days. We are continuously deploying the solution to our plants over time.

We do the deployment in-house.

ROI is part of the infrastructure costs. The product has saved us a lot of time, and once we deployed the solution, it worked.

The cost is a big factor for us. This is why we are using it only in our restricted area. They are very much higher than their competitors in the market.

I would rate the cost as a six or seven out of ten.

Nine or ten years ago, there were few options at the time.

Currently, we are using Barracuda for our more general Internet access. We use Cisco for our more protected environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product, but cost is a big factor. Some companies cannot afford expensive products, like Cisco and Palo Alto.