Cisco ASA NGFW Review

Behind in technology with lots of hidden costs

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to have full visibility over our Web & Application behavior on the local network and over the internet. On the other hand, reporting is one of the main needs so that we can monitor and evaluate our consumption and according to that, build up our policies and security.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco NGFW had the needs that were required by us but unfortunately, was very primitive.

There was no added value and every feature requires license thus extra HIDDEN cost despite a large number of renewals. Paying that much compared to what other vendors can give is out of the negotiation. For this reason we dropped it.

What is most valuable?

Unfortunately in Cisco, only the hardware was good. As for the features and services it was less than the others. Having all of the features means higher specs of hardware and intelligence processing so that it can handle all the logs proactively. Now, what is needed from the Information security, is to be proactively aware of any threat that might expose our data and at the same time have full visibility over our information sharing endpoints.

What needs improvement?

In NGFW, Cisco should be aligned with the new technology and inspection intelligence because Cisco is far behind in this pipeline. Nowadays IoT, Big Data, AI, Robotics, etc. are all evolving and shifting from automatic to intelligent. All brands that do not follow will be extinct.

I have been using this solution for three years.

I was using a different solution prior to this one. I shifted because I found that it can heal my pain at least partially. By the end, it did the job and more.

Always look for the history of the products and their evolution, as this will reflect their prices. As for the licenses, be smart and choose the ones you are going to use AS PER YOUR NEED.

More features=More Licenses=More work time=Increase in Cost.

Always consider what you might need to reduce your wasted time and invest it in other solutions (i.e. "If it takes you three hours to do an analysis report and the solution you are getting has this feature to reduce your time to five minutes then you can consider this license. But, if there is a feature where you can have access to the machine from the cloud and you are always connected to the company by VPN, there is no need to buy this license").

Whenever I go for a new solution, I test many leaders "NOT RELYING ON GARTNER", yet going for sites that are related to technical evaluations and real case studies. The vendors were Sophos Cyberoam, Barracuda, FortiGate, Websense, & Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

Think before you buy, as this solution can be your success or failure. Always work with professionals and not promoters.