Cisco ASAv Review

Helps us to manage the security policies in different areas of our network

What is our primary use case?

We use it on several layers of our network like in the border, internet edge, DMZ, some extranet parts of our network, and in the data center.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a reliable solution and a stable firewall. It helps us to manage the security policies in different areas of our network.

What is most valuable?

We use ASA as a simple, scalable firewall. Its main advantages are the stability. We use it as an active standby and as a failover solution. We depend on this solution, we've used it for several years.

What needs improvement?

• Interaction with the equipment
  • Different interface with the product
  • A more simple procedure in delivering policies to the equipment
  • Simplified upgrade procedure
  • Tracking flows
  • Monitoring and logs should be easier.

It's quite stable. In the past though, colleagues have had issues during the upgrade process. The failover didn't work and production was down.

It's not so scalable.

I haven't had any major problems so I haven't had to open a ticket with technical support.

The initial setup was not so complex. Most of it was straightforward. We just needed to discuss different scenarios that we had to consider regarding the deployment scenario, what could go wrong and what could happen in the future.

We used Telekom Romania for the deployment. We did most of the job internally but they helped us to clarify some aspects regarding the architecture design.

We also considered Check Point. We chose Cisco because of its capabilities. We didn't need something so complex for this solution, just a straightforward firewall. It met our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.