Cisco ASAv Review

Enables admins to be able to troubleshoot easily and has good traffic analytics features

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a network firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

For business purposes, it's a very detailed solution, which is it's greatest benefit, as you can get almost any piece of information you need from the solution. It allows for admins to be able to troubleshoot pretty easily.

What is most valuable?

The solution is part of a suite. If you pay for it, it has basically a view that's called Firepower, and it's really good at being able to analyze exact bits of a pack, at the packet level, and has the ability to allow you to examine that traffic. It is really good. That's probably my favorite part of the suite.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely say the pricing could be improved. If you're going to get the latest and greatest of this solution, it's very expensive and it's actually the reason my organization is moving away from it.

I'm working on a slightly older version, but what it needs is better alert management. It's pretty standard, but there are no real advanced features involved around it.

I've been using the solution for around one year.

We haven't had any major issues in regards to stability. In general, there are best practices in the industry to use. It's never really mattered because generally, with firewalls, you have two in any given location or service. They seem to be redundant of each other. So there's never been a problem where we lost functionality because of the firewall.

It's pretty scalable. Cisco is a large enterprise solution and it's designed to be able to serve large enterprise, so, it's fairly scalable. We're using the solution minimally at this point, and we're decreasing usage because it's too expensive to upgrade.

They have pretty good customer support. The solution's technical support is great.

I had not previously used another solution.

I was not with the organization when they originally rolled it out, so I can't speak to how straightforward or complex the initial setup was. There are about six people who manage the solution. We have security engineers and network engineers. If someone is trying to get an idea of how many people are required, it varies because a lot of organizations will have multiple firewalls in different locations. Six for one organization may be way more than somebody needs or way fewer than somebody needs.

We didn't use any other group for the deployment. We did all the work in-house.

My company is moving away from the solution because it is quite expensive.

We've looked at the Fortinet solution. The Fortinet FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

I would just say that it's expensive. The product is fine on its own, it's high end. It's got a high brand name attached to it. I would recommend the product, however. The product works great. It does everything it's supposed to do. There's no issues with it, no real concerns. It's just expensive.

I would rate it an eight out of 10 because it does everything it's designed to do, but it is not any better than other industry-leading solution, and it's far more expensive.