Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall Review

It has improved the security posture and visibility of our traffic, but it could use more predefined security templates

What is our primary use case?

E-commerce environment, Enterprise data center.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the security posture and visibility of our traffic. It has been proven very reliable on the hardware finishing and network portion. Since Cisco have been very experience in networking.

What is most valuable?

• Snort IPS with recommendation template
  • Extendable hardware module
  • Straightforward licensing
  • Cisco product integration

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see more improvements made to the dashboard and UI, as well as to the reporting, the reporting is quite limited and not user friendly.
  • I would like them to consider offering more predefined security templates.
  • Technical support product knowledge, licensing portal, activation process will need to be improved.
  • The configuration is not straightforward, Cisco will need to improve this so the user can easily pick up the product.
  • Bugs are more than other firewall competitors, some bugs are quite serious.

Yes, we found some firmware bugs and Cisco took some time to fix them. We needed to escalate the issue to the account manager to expedite the escalation process.

A five out of 10.

Complex in configuration and understanding. It would be very challenging for a non-Cisco trained engineer.

We implemented ourselves with some assistance from the vendor. Some vendor are not expertise in this deployment, possible because of the complexity of the product.

Base hardware cost are average. Additional hardware modules are priced higher than the base module. They also offer very clear licensing and pricing.

Check Point, FortiGate, Palo Alto, SonicWall, Huawei, and Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is still a very good hardware manufacture, but they need to catch up on the software portion. We used the Cisco product because we know they tried very hard to get back into the market and we were willing to give them a chance since we are still using a lot of Cisco product. For those who are non-Cisco trained, it would be very hard to pick up.

More Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall reviews from users