Cisco Firepower NGFW Review

Supports application visibility and control, and it has great deep packet inspection

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using version 6.3. Our primary use case of this solution is to put Firepower inside of the data center and at the Edge network.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization. I'm a solution provider and so I deploy in many different companies that are my customers right now. Before Firepower, we had some problems with the architecture of the firewall. Firepower can support two types of intelligence identity: it can support the application visibility and control, and it has a great deep inspection in the packet. Before this solution, we had some problems with malware detection. Right now, we can easily detect and filter all the applications. Before this solution, we never had any file trajectory, but right now we do, according to the file trajectory of Firepower that we have after attack solutions.

We never had any solution or any workaround for after an attack. We never had any clue what the source of an attack was or how the attack could affect the company. Right now, because of the file trajectory and the great monitoring that FMC does, we know what's happened so we can analyze it after an attack.

What is most valuable?

The architecture of FTD is great because it has an in-depth coverage and because it uses the AVC, (Application, Visibility, and Control) and also rate limits. Also, the architecture of fast paths is great.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see real-time log systems because it's very helpful when you want to troubleshoot.

Three to five years.

Stability really depends on the software that you use. If you use the suggested software that Cisco suggests, you will see a highly robust and highly stable system. A crash or block will never happen to you. It really depends on the version that you are using. Definitely check the release notes before installation.

I've worked with the 2000 series, the 4000, and the 9000. The 9000 series is really impressive because it's absolutely scalable for large deployments.

I haven't had to contact their technical support.

We previously used ASA, which is a regular firewall. We switched to Firepower because it has a lot of features. It is one of the best firewalls in the world so we shifted to Firepower.

The time it takes to implement depends on the policy of the customer. Practically speaking, it takes around three to four hours to deploy, but it can depend because the Firepower solutions have two parts. One part is the hardware, it is an actual firewall and actual device but the monitoring system and the control system is a software called FMC. Most of the customers deploy it over VMware. The time of deployment really depends on your resources, but on average will take three to four hours.

At least two to three people with professional knowledge, around three years of experience, are needed for the deployment and maintenance, not only for Firepower but in every security solution. The device is doing something, but the most important part is analyzing it. The device can give you logs, but the engineer should analyze the log and do something.

Deployment without inspection can require only one person but if you want to analyze the IPS, at least two people will be needed.

Based on the services that you will get, especially the AMP license, the price is very reasonable. The license system is also good but it's not very impressive. It's a very regular licensing system. They call it a smart license which means that your device will connect to the internet. This is a little bit of a headache for some customers. It doesn't make the customer happy because most of the customers prefer not to connect their firewall or system to the internet.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to just read the release notes before doing anything. You should know what the exact architecture is and what the exact details of the software are before trying to deploy it.

I would rate this solution a ten.