Cisco Firepower NGFW Review

Traffic comes into the house and gets filtered in and out the Firepower interface

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for handling office traffic VPN tunnels and filtering the traffic. All the traffic comes into the house and gets filtered in and out the Firepower interface. It's performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the deeper inspection it provides we have better security and sections that allow users broader access.

What is most valuable?

With this solution, you can have an inspection of each package and see what the threat level it's at. It has made the work more dynamic. We don't have to block as much like we had to in the old days.

What needs improvement?

They should develop a web interface that is actually useful. Currently, we still have an issue where you have to go in and do manual configuring by the command line if you want certain functions in it. This means that we need to find people at a higher technical level to be able to do changes in those things. It would be much easier if you had a more friendly user interface basis where you don't have to go in and do the command line off.

They should be a little bit faster sometimes in updating their threat protection. Cisco should redo their website so it's actually usable in a faster way.

More than five years.

Stability is fantastic.

We are a rather small firm so we don't have much growth leads but there is a wide range of firewalls that I can expand onto. We can also set up cluster solutions. It's rather indefinite in its expandable possibilities.

I've only had to use their technical support once. Otherwise, I haven't had to use them.

We were using SonicWall before.

The initial setup is very complex but once it's done, it's fantastic.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the horrible initial setup and because you can't handle all operations from one interface. You have to go back into the command line to even be able to type program language, even though you have a graphic user interface for it but it doesn't work properly.