Cisco IOS Security Review

Easy to use, easy to set up, and offers excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a VPN concentrator. It's the main VPN concentrator for all remote connections.

What is most valuable?

The compatibility is high with many open protocols. We use it for Radiant. We use it for any kind of network access protocols as well.

The solution is very user-friendly and easy to deal with. We find working with both the Command-Line and the Viewer very, very straightforward.

It's quite stable. We find it more stable than other options.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution had more capacity. Right now, we are almost hitting the maximum capacity of the product. If they could provide more capacity for the same product, that would be great.

I've been using the solution for over ten years. At more than a decade, it's been a long time.

The solution is extremely stable. We find it much more stable than other options. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't issues with glitches. It is completely reliable.

Currently, we have over 7,000 users that utilize this solution.

We do plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is very, very good under Cisco. It's one of the other advantages of using their product. They are very helpful, responsive, and knowledgeable. We've very satisfied with the level of service they provide to us.

We previously used Juniper. Juniper has improved a lot over the last little while, however, we still prefer Cisco.

I was not part of the installation process. That was handled by another team entirely. That said, they didn't take a lot of time to get everything up and running. It was, if I recall correctly, less than one week to put it up and test it and make all the configuration adjustments. Deployment was fast and it's my understanding that the whole process from beginning to end was straightforward.

We only needed two people and they were able to handle both deployment and maintenance. They are engineers.

I don't know the exact licensing costs. It's not something I deal with directly, and therefore I don't have any access to the information in regards to pricing and payments.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

We're using the latest version of the solution in our organization right now.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployments, however, currently, we tend to use more on-premises deployments.

I would recommend the solution. Overall, I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

More Cisco IOS Security reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Cisco IOS Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.