Cisco IOS Security Review

Scalability and some enhancement to our security posture have been key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for routing and switching, VPNs, connectivity to some degree, and firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

In certain spots it has improved our security program's maturity, for example around virtualization and network segmentation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scalability. The nice thing with the bigger vendors is that they're very good at scale.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see much more embedded security that works and that isn't a bolt-on.

It's pretty stable. The stability has been good.

I would rate the technical support at eight out of ten. We've had a lot of good feedback.

Different products come and go but we've been using Cisco for 20 years.

We use every consulting firm and probably most integrators, depending on the project. On any day it could be Deloitte, Accenture, etc.

I'm sure we've seen ROI. Routing is better than picking up a file, carrying it to you and handing it to you. But it's been in place for quite a long time.

What other advice do I have?

Look at this solution and figure out what you're trying to accomplish. You should probably augment it with some other vendors as well. I'm not a big single-vendor type of person. I don't think anyone does it perfectly well. With Cisco, you bring them in for their core competencies which are routing, switching, and virtual networking. Then you augment it with some security vendors that have been doing security the entire time.

I would rate it at eight out of ten. It's not a ten because of the criticisms around security.