Cisco IOS Security Review

Supports mobile devices on an enterprise network firewall including iOS and Android

What is our primary use case?

I use Cisco IOS Security. We install it for people. We have a very small network station. We don't use Cisco IOS Security very often, but we install it for clients.

We use Cisco IOS Security mostly for routers to route off the firewall. It's a next-generation device. With firewalls, we can connect the solution for the mail cloud.

We've deployed with Fortinet FortiGate. We don't use it much. We use Cisco IOS Security to manage for enterprise clients.

Our primary use case for this solution is in the insurance industry.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco IOS Security has not improved my organization. We use it for our clients. It helps their workers to be more secure in operations.

What is most valuable?

We interpret the additional protection to be very important now. Cisco IOS Security is used with client mobile devices on the firewall.

What needs improvement?

We don't love everything about the product. For now, it's what we're using. It's okay. It is difficult to set up. The training is okay. The pricing is standard.

It will be great if they can make it more easy to use the features. The interface is not user-friendly, but a normal IT technician can handle it.

Most of the features only work with Cisco equipment. It's about connectivity. Most of their features are meant for Cisco. You cannot integrate them with any other vendor.

Cisco needs to be more flexible with the integration of other solutions.

I've been working on this for let's say three years now.

It's not stable if you don't have Cisco gear in your network. If you don't have Cisco equipment within your network, you cannot access powerful pieces of the software.

The scalability of Cisco IOS Security is good. It's very fast. It's not universal because most of the features require you to have Cisco equipment in your network.

If you ask technical support on how to solve some issues, it does help. We do fine with Cisco support. It comes with the equipment.

We provide our clients with six months of in-house support. We pay Cisco for it. The support is okay.

The initial setup is straightforward, but when it comes to complex settings like the firewall, it is not easy. Most of the features that come with it work only with Cisco devices.

You have to have experience before you try to use it. You need to make sure you have it your router by Cisco. Some features only work with Cisco equipment.

What we do is we set up everything. We have to go on-site. It doesn't take time to deploy it. The time required to work on the project can take up to two weeks.

We did the setup mostly with our team. We are consultants. We worked with a reseller. Cisco has an integrator software team too.

Our licensing costs for the solution are on an annual basis. It should be every five years.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Cisco IOS Security at 9/10.