Cisco Sourcefire Firewalls Review

The granularity keeps users seeing what they are supposed to and enables the security not to become compromised

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is for checking on and verifying the security of our customer data.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has been improved by the solution because we can be assured that the firewall is secure. It gives us more flexibility to monitor other things. Because we have safe firewalls, we don't have to worry about that and can direct resources elsewhere. If our internet goes down in one location we can bring it back up pretty easily.

What is most valuable?

The thing we've found most valuable is the efficiency. The firewalls are easy to configure and deploy. Overall it is an easy system to manage.

Another valuable feature is just how granular we can get with it so we can keep users seeing what they are supposed to and don't compromise security.

What needs improvement?

One way the product could be improved is if you could monitor more than one rule at a time. We only have the option to have one monitor window up at a time if you're trying to troubleshoot something you end up switching back-and-forth and don't get the bigger picture all at once.

It's reliable and it does its job. It gives you the freedom to do other things while you get indications of any issues. The multi-monitor would be a huge improvement.

I'd definitely recommend the product. Even when you set it up for the first night, it definitely will tell you the status of the network. The important part in the setup is following the instructions to get it going.

The solution itself is good as far as stability.

The technical support is good and the response time quick. We had some firewalls down and gave them a call. They helped resolve the issue and it was all positive.

Previous to this we had just a normal firewall that I didn't like. It didn't provide enough.

The setup was straightforward, even without initially having all the information we needed. It was very intuitive. When I went in to get help, help was there.

We got the product from a reseller and we did the installation ourselves.

We certainly have seen a return on investment at the very least from being able to reallocate human resources.

Before selecting this as a solution we really didn't evaluate other options at all.

What other advice do I have?

As far as rating this product, I would give it a nine out of ten. The only real drawbacks are the lack of multi-monitoring and not really having clear instructions prior to jumping in and implementing it.