Cisco Sourcefire Firewalls Review

Valuable firewall solution for enterprise organizations who need reliable flexible security

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is as a firewall. We implemented it as an IT tech solution for our accesses through Sourcefire. It provides security.

How has it helped my organization?

The main product in our company is dependent on Cisco as a security solution. Cisco has a great reputation in the market. We are using Cisco as our main firewall in the company because it provides the best security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is for IT security management. It is extremely valuable to protection so that is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I'm not really sure that much has to be improved. Compared to other firewall solutions probably the thing that could be improved is the interface — the GUI. Other than that I don't think there is anything else that could be better. I think it is a great product.

I have been using the product for two years.

I believe that Cisco is one of the most stable firewall solutions. Compared to other solutions, Cisco has a better stability record than others. That's why we like it a lot.

I don't know that we have plans to scale the business on this site. But Cisco products are expandable. If we want to expand the functionality with new feature sets we can add modules. So in that way, it is a flexible and scalable solution.

We currently have 200 to 500 users who are using this solution at any time.

We have used technical support quite a bit and always contact them if we have an issue. They will always respond as soon as possible. So I think the support is great. We don't have any issue with them being unresponsive or providing bad solutions. I like to check with them on solutions sometimes and they respond as soon as possible. It saves time and helps me to be sure I am doing the right thing before I go in the wrong direction.

I don't know the exact product they were using before but I think it was just proxy. When I came to the company, the Cisco solution had already been installed, so I don't know the exact product from before.

I think the main reason why they would have switched is the stability and possibilities are better than just proxy. Cisco is very different and more powerful than the other simple products. It's very stable.

I wasn't part of the company at the time of the initial setup, and I am just performing additional tasks. We have a staff of a maximum of three or four persons so once the deployment is live it doesn't need much effort.

I'm not sure if the company has plans to increase usage and grow our responsibilities. It's not not for me to decide. I think the company is growing and traffic is increasing. But my superior is the person responsible for determining when it is time to scale.

We used a consultant for the implementation. They actually continue to help a lot when we need them for something.

I don't know if the company evaluated other solutions before choosing Cisco. When I came to the company, it was already there. Cisco is a very popular enterprise solution so they may have just chosen it without other evaluations.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten with one being worst and ten being best, I would rate Cisco SourceFire Firewall as a nine. It could easily be a ten if it had a better GUI interface.

As far as making recommendations to other people about the product, I recommend they buy it if they need an enterprise solution. Also, I would recommend other Cisco solutions like Cisco AMP (Advanced Malware Protection).

I think most large companies that require strong security should always use Cisco because it's stable, scalable, and has many features. Enterprise organizations will benefit from Cisco because their business requirement will be more complicated and require a better solution and more flexibility. I think all the companies should use Cisco because it's number one the market and has the best security, better stability, and better scalability.