Cisco Sourcefire Firewalls Review

Protects our network from external threats and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to protect our network from external threats. We need to keep our portal safe.

We use the public cloud model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it has the ability to divide the network into three parts; internal, external, and DMZ.

What needs improvement?

I would like for the user interface to be easier for the admin and network admin. I would also like to be able to access everything from the GUI interface. The way it is now, it needs somebody experience in iOS to be able to operate it. I would like to have a GUI interface.

It should have integrated licenses with our other products. There should be a license bundle, like for firewalls and iOS. It would be better if it was a bundled license.

We have been using this solution for ten years.

It's very stable.

The scalability is good. We have around 1,500 users. The users are regular end-users, network admins, technicians, etc.

We require three admins for this solution. We require five staff members for the deployment and maintenance.

It is used weekly. We do plan to increase the users.

Their technical support is good. We have a maintenance contract with them for two years and we plan to renew the contract.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around two to three days to implement.

We used a Cisco partner for the implementation. They were knowledgable and did a good job.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

We don't evaluate different solutions because our infrastructure is Cisco-based. We wanted it to be homogeneous with our infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to have a technical support or maintenance contract with the vendor or a third-party to help maintain the product. Without help with maintenance, there is no value to the product.

You should have a good technician and admin support for all this product in order to maximize the value and benefits.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.