Cisco UCS Director Review

Good fabric sharing and security, but needs integration with other hardware vendors

What is our primary use case?

I was responsible for fixing this solution in my company.

My role was designing the zones.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the fabric sharing.

The security features are good.

What needs improvement?

HyperFlex is not the best of the hyper-converged solutions.

We cannot depend on this solution to manage all of the data center's infrastructure. We can count on it to replace the traditional Blades or rack-mounted servers, but not a hyper-converged system.

Adding integration, or an API to manage another vendor's hardware, would really add value to this solution.

We have been using this solution for about three years.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable.

There are approximately two thousand people using this solution.

The technical support for this solution is very good, at least in our region. It may be different in other regions.

The initial setup of this solution is somewhat complex. It requires an expert to configure.

The deployment took approximately one month. For a small deployment, that is a long time.

There are two to three people required for maintenance in order to avoid a single point of failure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody considering this solution is to first have the vision to convert all of your x86 data center hardware to UCS. Do not add it for a specific use case, such as a cloud manager. Cisco recommends this solution for cloud management, but it should not be done unless you plan to replace all of your hardware with Cisco.

This is a good solution, but I would like to see integration with other hardware vendors.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Cisco UCS Director reviews from users