Dataiku Data Science Studio Review

GUI-based functionality is easy to use, but server up-time needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

ETL development.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to Informatica, this tool is extremely easy with its GUI-based functionality and large compatibility with various data sources. Also, maintenance processes are much more automated than ever, with fewer errors.

What is most valuable?

• Process scheduler (called Scenario).
  • Cloud-based process run, which helps in not keeping the systems on while processes are running.

What needs improvement?

Server up-time needs to be improved. Also, query engines like Spark and Hive need to be more stable.

There were stability issues.

• SQL operations, such as partitioning, had bugs and showed wrong results.
  • Due to server downtime, scheduled processes used to fail.
  • Access to project folders was compromised (privacy issue) with wrong people getting access to confidential project folders.

Although known for Big Data, the processing time to process 1.8 billion records was terribly slow (five days).

I would rate tech support at six out of 10.

I have previously worked with Alteryx. I switched for these reasons:

• Big Data tools like Python and Hive are already supported
  • Cloud-based processing
  • Better value for money for client.

Initial setup was done by the IT team from the client's side. No involvement in the initial setup from our side.

Since this was a client-advised tool, no information of costs is available to us.

Unfortunately, no.

What other advice do I have?

Easy-to-use tool, but slightly unstable in terms of a few modules. Proceed with some amount of caution and knowledge.