Device42 Review

Makes it easier for me to figure out if I have room and/or power in a cabinet to rack servers

What is our primary use case?

We use it for asset tracking, cabinet modeling, data center modeling, and we use it for asset disposition and to keep track of our spare parts.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it easier for anyone to find an asset in a cabinet and it makes it easier for me to figure out if I have room and/or power in a cabinet to rack servers.

It has also reduced the time spent managing our IT assets by a good 40 to 50 percent. We have also used the solution in conjunction with audits of our IT assets and, in that context, it saves a lot of time when everything's right there at your fingertips. I would estimate that it saves 50 to 60 percent, in terms of time, when doing audits.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part is the ease of use. There's no training involved. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

I also like the inventory functionality. I don't know that we're using it exactly how it's made to be used, but it works for us.

The asset discovery goes out and finds new devices and puts them under Unknown Devices, and then we go in and have to fix it and change it to what it is. It works really well. The fact that it's continuous is convenient. We don't have to worry about it. It just works.

What needs improvement?

My biggest problem with the product is the upgrades. First, we have to do them manually and second, not this last time but the time before that, we actually had to build a new VM to deploy the solution again. We had to back it up and then restore it to the new version. That was inconvenient.

I would also like the ability to bulk-delete. The application is great, for the most part. There are just a few little bugs and quirks that are annoying to me.

I've been using Device42 for almost five years.

I have no complaints. It's still working.

My boss loves the fact that he can run API commands and get information that way. He's a huge API-guy, so he loves it.

I've used Device42's technical support. It's okay.

They had something called Rack Monkey. It was the most trivial program I've ever seen so that's why we looked for something else.

In the beginning, I didn't really know a whole lot about it, so it was a little complex. But once I got a good understanding, it was very intuitive.

We were up and running within a couple of days and when I reached out for some assistance, Raj Jalan actually called me. He's the CEO of the company and it was really nice to get that kind of support.

Our implementation strategy was to get it up and running as fast as possible.

I deployed it myself and there are two of us who maintain it. One guy on the network team does all of the discovery stuff and I'm a senior infrastructure engineer.

I would think we have seen ROI with Device42. It saves us time every day when we need to look up stuff. I can't put a price tag on it but it's very useful.

We evaluated other options but that was quite some time ago. We chose Device42 for its ease of use and quick stand-up.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be "do it." It worked for us. Made my life easy.

You get what you pay for. It's a good product and I enjoy it and we don't mind paying for it.

I, myself, don't use the IP discovery a whole lot. One of the guys from our network team uses that. I know it helps them a lot. Similarly, with the Application Dependency Mapping, I know my boss has looked at it a couple times. I can't really say that we use it, but it's there. It's a great function that gives us a very good view of our network.

There are 2,500 to 3,000 users who have access to it. They're mostly just adding and updating inventory. When they deploy a new server they go in and give it a name and add stuff into it.

As far as I know, we don't have any plans to change things. Device42 is our solution.

More Device42 reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Device42. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.