Device42 Review

We are making it our single point of truth; no other tools needed

What is our primary use case?

Device42 will be the single point of truth for our network, service, and device documentation. The first step is to put all data inside with the goal to discover all things automatically. We do have a few things we must fill in manually. The second step is to use this data and create automation. When we can do this, it will be a big step towards successfully automating our processes overall. Processes can be in connection with the driver ticketing system, the installation of new virtual machines in new containers to grab data automatically to ask the system what is free, determining what we can use, and also automatically returning data to Device42.

We now have nine data centers in Device42. We have data centers in Germany, the US, Singapore, and Australia.

The company creates software and sells those services. The software send mails, SMSs, and faxes globally. We host everything ourselves. We have security, network, and infrastructure teams, which are all in-house. Nothing is outside in the cloud. We can create everything that we need in short time and easily ourselves.

I am using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

When all data centers have been added, it will be a success at this time. It is a time saving tool because we can connect all our other tools to Device42, which gives them the advantage to speak with Device42 and the ability to use data in all directions.

Device42 will be our single point of truth, and only Device42. There will be no other tool, no other person, and no other Excel sheet; it will be only Device42.

A big plus for Device42 was the auto-discovery. With it, we have updated devices, updated systems, and up-to-date systems.

What is most valuable?

The auto-discovery and API are big values for us. We like these features because:

• They make requests easy against the Device42 system.
  • They are an open standard that we can use for all our other systems, connecting to all our other systems.

The solution’s automatic IT asset discovery and inventory functionality is a great feature. It was a great idea to create this functionality because we have thousands of systems. To do this manually, it's really a pain.

What needs improvement?

I tried in the beginning to use the agentless discovery. I had a few problems. There was an employee before me who started with Device42 in 2018. I came to the company in Summer 2019 and was the new tool owner. We had some problems with the agentless, so we switched to the agent discovery. We have a big Linux environment with a lot of Linux services. All Linux services are orchestrated. Therefore, I had no problems rolling out the agent approach to 2,000 to 3,000 machines. The scheduled task for the control for the agent I can create this in a few minutes with the orchestration.

I have a feature requests for the UI to sort numbers or estimates.

When servers have two network adapters, automatically discovered will be only one network card because the other one is a backup. Device42 has some problems to find the other connection. I have open some tickets for this.

For some of the network devices, the auto-discovery could be a bit improved. Some switchboards for some devices have problems to receive their connections automatically, and support names are sometimes incorrect. These are only for special network devices when we have a clustered network device.

I have been using Device42 since last summer (2019).

The stability is great. No problems overall with it.

We have a lot of devices with a modern database architecture. It does not have a problem handling our data.

Many people from my company are now working with Device42. They switched over from the old tool to Device42. There are about 300 people working at the company.

The whole technical department is using Device42 (120 users). Technical department, at our company, means we have infrastructure, network, application management, and application support teams along with an internal IT department. Even development uses this tool to see devices and clusters.

I'm often in contact with the support team, as I have a few ideas about feature requests or fixing thing. If I do find a few mistake or problems in the tool, then I speak with the support team.

It's good support. I like it. They answer quickly, but sometimes you can feel the support does not know the solution. The roadmap from the development is now cloud-based, which is a big thing. The development is going to cloud and cloud discovery, but some of the basics are not working perfectly and development has no time to fix them. It would be great if they could fix these basics, then concentrate on bigger, newer things, such as, the cloud, container discovery, and database discovery. They need to fix these basics, but overall, I'm happy with the support.

Our tool before was Rectangles, which is an open source tool. The usability is a bit old but people like to work with it. However, everything in this tool is created manually. To create all devices manually, it's a big pain. To update everything is another big pain. In a big environment, it is not possible to use. With the auto-discovery of Device42, we are nearly up-to-date with all our systems.

I have also used another tool that was written by an application developer inside the company. It contained some special reports and other things.

In our solution, configuration was easy because we can automate this configuration over all the servers in the world and roll out the configuration in the agent. It's done in a few minutes.

For a very small installation with a few devices inside, the tool is too big. If you have a few different devices and are using cloud virtualization and cloud applications, then it's a good tool. Though, it is not specifically for this. It is a good quality tool, which is easy to manage.

One person is needed for deployment and maintenance.

We have not yet seen ROI.

The solution has not reduced the time spent managing IT assets. I must first add all data centers in the tool. I'm not finished yet. But in the end, it will reduce time for the company as a whole.

On a yearly basis, our licensing is $10,000. However, our license is now nearly full with devices. We need the next bigger license with 5,000 devices, which will cost us $19,000. We pay for a set of licenses, a maximum number of devices, and a maximum number of IP addresses. We have the smallest amount of features, which is enough for us at this time. E.g., we don't need application discovery, but possibly in the future, it will be a good thing.

We evaluated a few other tools, even open source tools. Big pluses for Device42 were the price was clear and the features received.

The problem with using other vendor, like BMC, is the pricing. The price is so horrible and nobody wants to pay this money.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am happy with tool because we have a big infrastructure across the world with a lot of different devices. We have a lot of service, virtualization, hardware machines, and network devices. You can't find a perfect tool for all devices in this world. You must find something in the middle, and Device42 is a good tool for this.

The agentless approach is a good feature. It didn't work for me. I was happier with the agent, as I had immediate good results.

There are only a few people still manually creating tools because we have no option for these specialty devices. For these specialty devices, we not need automatically update them because these devices are aesthetic. It's only a few devices, so administrators for these devices do this work manually.

The solution doesn't affect our environment or security.

Compared to other tools, I would rate this solution as a seven point five (out of 10).

More Device42 reviews from users