Digital Guardian Review

Has good scalability but it's not stable and is resource-consuming

What is our primary use case?

Data security is now one of the most important aspects for any organization. Our customers are looking for a DLP solution that can help them protect data. It's both endpoint and network, and "network" covers cloud integration as well.

We cover both Endpoint Data Loss Prevention and Network DLP; in fact, we cover the whole portfolio of Digital Guardian. We have both cloud and on-premise solutions. We deploy it for medium and enterprise businesses.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of issues with the current version of the Endpoint agent. It's not stable, it's resource-consuming, and there are some performance issues. If they could improve the stability of the agent it would be great.

They need to improve their product. If they keep just adding the features, it's not going to help them to sell the solution in the market. First of all, they need to improve their existing features, rather than onboarding new features.

It's close to three years that we have been dealing with Digital Guardian.

We are facing a lot of challenges with the agent's stability. Sometimes the application fails. Sometimes it works for 10 days or 15 days and then starts behaving abnormally. I have a lot of issues related to the agent and it's still a challenge.

It can scale from 100 to 10,000. There's no problem with the scalability.

The technical support is very bad. Support has to be drastically improved.

The initial setup is complex. It is not straightforward. You need to do lot of config when you create rules and policies. It takes a lot of time to create them. It takes a lot of testing. You also need to have a little understanding of the programming language. It's very difficult to create a policy.

Deployment takes three to six months.

It can be deployed by one person, but that person would need to dedicate his time to finish the project from start to end. Otherwise, it would require a minimum of two people because sometimes engineers are not available. You have to have at least two engineers.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't have skilled staff, I would not recommend going with Digital Guardian. If you are looking more into deep-dive, postmortem, or forensic analysis, I would recommend it, but you need to have patience to implement the product. You need to bear in mind that support could be very challenging. The implementation, as I said, takes a long time. So if you have skilled staff, they can evaluate and onboard the solution but if you don't know have skilled staff, I would not recommend it.

My biggest lesson learned from dealing with this product is that they commit to something but they don't deliver it. That has been my experience.

I would rate it at five out of 10. Technically the product is good but the stability is not there.