Digital Guardian Overview

Digital Guardian is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Data Loss Prevention tools. It is most often compared to Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention: Digital Guardian vs Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention

What is Digital Guardian?

Digital Guardian Endpoint Data Loss Prevention (DLP) protects sensitive data on all your endpoints. It protects intellectual property and personal information. An endpoint agent that captures and records all system, user and data events on or off the network. It has a granular control of all data movement that can be configured to automatically block, justify or encrypt sensitive data in or attached to email, files moved to removable drives, cloud storage, or web - malware and malware-free - before sensitive data is lost. It has a built-in advanced data classification that creates and modifies classification and usage policies through content inspection, context-awareness and user classification. It provides design policies with controls that won't block actions that comply with corporate policy so employees remain productive while the data stays safe.

Digital Guardian Buyer's Guide

Download the Digital Guardian Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Digital Guardian Customers

The Fifth Avenue Theatre, Jabil Circuit

Digital Guardian Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Digital Guardian pricing:
  • "Digital Guardian has both, subscription and perpetual licenses, but I think when everything (all technologies) will go to the cloud they will only offer subscriptions."
  • "If I compare Digital Guardian with Symantec, the license cost is lower, but McAfee can be cheaper than Digital Guardian. It depends on how many licenses you plan to buy and how big the project is. The cost is not so high as Symantec, but not as cheap as McAfee. They can easily sell the solution for price."

Digital Guardian Reviews

Ernesto Martinez
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Jul 2, 2019
The classification engine enables you to set up inspection rules to determine whether data has PII

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for data classification and data loss prevention. We're seeing this solution being used by everyone from mid-market, medium-sized banks or financial institutions to insurance carriers, and we see it deployed at companies that work with personally identifiable information.

• "The technical support is really terrific."
  • "I would like to see the workflow, to get all the rules and policies set up, be less complicated."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you start looking at policies that would come out of the privacy office, or the DPO, the Data Privacy Officer. Most companies don't have a DPO, and that's why they really need to start looking at creating data classification guidelines and policies and understanding the impacts to the business on where their data flows and how it flows because this impacts the configuration of the digital guardian solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.
Sean
Sr. SE Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Jul 23, 2020
Great desktop recording, very scalable, and perfect for protecting IP on desktops

What is our primary use case?

Mainly, I'm in charge of pre-sales, so we are currently doing a POC. The solution is primarily used for data loss prevention. We will use if for our customers in manufacturing that are in rather high tech sectors. They want to prevent their internal employees from taking their IP, their intellectual property, to their competitors.

• "The feature we call desktop recording is the most valuable aspect of the solution. Not only can we collect data from the user's usage, but we also capture his screenshots when he is trying to steal the data."
  • "Some features on Mac and Linux are not complete currently. For example, some device control features haven't been transferred over to the other systems. If they could have their Windows features also available on Mac and Linux, that would be perfect. Some of our customers have a Mac environment for their RD environment. Having the solution fully capable of handling everything in a Mac environment is crucial."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, for the endpoint DLP and especially for the manufacturing industry, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Digital Guardian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Murad Gurbanov
Presales Specialist at bc solutions
Sep 26, 2019
Its cloud correlation servers give you visibility

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company who is an integrator of the Digital Guardian product. We are selling the solution and installing the solution on all our customers' sites. We have several projects where Digital Guardian is deployed as a DLP solution mostly.

• "In Digital Guardian, they have the cloud correlation servers that give you visibility work like EBR and the correlation server works very well for security analysis."
  • "The room for improvement with Digital Guardian is that it will be better with the Linux agent because it is the only DLP solution for Linux workstations. It still needs to upgrade the agents to the latest version for the Linux kernel."

What other advice do I have?

If somebody wants to implement a DLP solution, they need to understand which data they need to protect and how they would want to classify this data. After that, make the choice in which DLP solution you want. I would rate Digital Guardian with a nine out of 10 because there is no solution that will be fully perfect.
reviewer1310022
Practice Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 31, 2020
Has good scalability but it's not stable and is resource-consuming

What is our primary use case?

Data security is now one of the most important aspects for any organization. Our customers are looking for a DLP solution that can help them protect data. It's both endpoint and network, and "network" covers cloud integration as well. We cover both Endpoint Data Loss Prevention and Network DLP; in fact, we cover the whole portfolio of Digital Guardian. We have both cloud and on-premise solutions. We deploy it for medium and enterprise businesses.

• "It can scale from 100 to 10,000. There's no problem with the scalability."
  • "There are a lot of issues with the current version of the Endpoint agent. It's not stable, it's resource-consuming, and there are some performance issues. If they could improve the stability of the agent it would be great."

What other advice do I have?

If you don't have skilled staff, I would not recommend going with Digital Guardian. If you are looking more into deep-dive, postmortem, or forensic analysis, I would recommend it, but you need to have patience to implement the product. You need to bear in mind that support could be very challenging. The implementation, as I said, takes a long time. So if you have skilled staff, they can evaluate and onboard the solution but if you don't know have skilled staff, I would not recommend it. My biggest lesson learned from dealing with this product is that they commit to something but they don't…