Docker Review

A faster and flexible solution with excellent support systems

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for electronic commerce.

How has it helped my organization?

It took us 30% faster to implement the solutions that we used to have with other platforms, and the flexibility has increased by 50%.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect is the excellent support. In addition, the billing system is really easy to understand.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the basic support is a bit difficult if you have a firewall and cloud servers behind the firewall and then try to implement the backup solution, it can be a bit difficult to do by yourself. If you have a Rackspace engineer, it is easier, because they know the procedures, but that service is not cheap. It can be an extra $500 for that extra service, per month. It would be nice to see that cost decrease.

The product is stable. Any problems that we have noticed have been with the customer doing something wrong. For instance, they may have two versions of the application that do not match, which will cause errors. But, we can never blame Rackspace Docker for this. It is an internal problem.

The scalability is a bit difficult. Rackspace has beautiful tools to make scaling pretty easy. Usually, it is our customer that is afraid to scale too fast. At times, we have to convince our clients to move towards the cloud, because the cloud function is very different from the on premise solutions. Once they understand this, they are eager to jump to the next level.

We currently have two customers that have 8,000 users connected to the solution. They are in the automotive industry. The users are a combination of sales people, service representatives and executives.  There is a tremendous ability for Docker to support a lot of users.

The customer service is good.

The setup was very easy, but if you get into something with the backup agent or the API, that is when you may begin to stumble. Sometimes this causes a slower time for implementation and ultimate deployment.

Our standard procedure is to look at the requirements, set of a pilot, do some testing, and then release the solution. It can take several weeks, and it depends on understanding our customers' needs. We have our own staff who complete the process.

At times, my customers are upset with the cost of the product. Other solutions seems inexpensive, in comparison. But, I tell my customers that once you start putting the solution together, will you realize that it will cost more than Rackspace Docker.

We looked at VMware and Hyper-V, as well as Amazon. But, we stayed with Rackspace Docker becuas ewe already know that this is doing the best in terms of what it is offering.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is in regards to the security. Many of my customers do not care enough about security, they have a disbelief that once you are in a cloud, you are automatically secure. This sis not the case at all. You need to understand that nothing is guaranteed if you do not follow the right rules. You need proper monitoring tools to keep the work-site safe and secure. It may cost the customer more, but it is worth every penny.