Dundas BI Review

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise business intelligence. We use this tool to provide dashboards to business users and enhanced searching dashboards built into SharePoint.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to move users away from using Excel to collect and alter data, to add in the extra data points needed to the source and build dashboards that everyone can use in real-time.

What is most valuable?

The built-in ETL functionality has allowed us to combine data sources without the need for a full SSIS package. This saves time and allows for a quicker time to market.

What needs improvement?

One feature I would like to see added is funnel charts. Dundas has the ability to modify a bar chart to mimic a funnel, or to ingest 3rd part visuals.  But both feel a little clunky to use.  An out of the box funnel chart would be preferred.

Some native functionality to 'write back' to a specific field in a database would be a welcome change as well.  Dundas has the ability to create a form using text boxes that can be used as variables in a stored procedure for writing back to a SQL backend. This works, but our users have not liked the experience.  What our users prefer is a grid of data with the cells being editable, allowing them to update data from within the grid.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

Dundas BI is very scalable.

Support is amazing. Response times are low, and they are always willing to help.

We tried to use Power BI, but it did not have the flexibility that we needed.

Setup is very easy. A wizard is provided to walk you through the process.

We did the implementation all in-house.

Have an idea of what you want end users to be able to accomplish; this will help drive the discussion when the time comes to look at licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Set up a trial and build out a dashboard that you currently need. Out of the box, Dundas BI does almost everything needed for an intuitive dashboard, and anything else can be scripted. Their support is top notch and always willing to help.