Dundas Dashboard Review
It has significantly increased our productivity but it forces users who are viewing the reports for the first time to install Silverlight which isn't supported by Google Chrome.

Valuable Features

The ease in connecting to any data source (Excel, MS SQL, Oracle, etc.) and being able to create a dashboard or a chart. You can then allow others to access it over the internet from their computer or hand-held device. Also, the scripting feature allows you to use C# to do almost anything you can imagine with a report, which makes it very customizable. It also helps that they use a programming language that is widely used so you can find answers and help on the internet. The documentation and how to videos are also very helpful.

Improvements to My Organization

Previously, we had five people doing separate reports in Excel. Each report looked different, and every month we would have to recreate them with a different set of data. With Dundas, we can now enforce a standard using themes so that all the reports have the same look and feel no matter who creates it. Also, it now automates our monthly reports so all we need to do is update the data in a database, and the report updates real-time. From an automation standpoint this has significantly increased our productivity and ability to get nice looking reports out with short turn around.

Room for Improvement

The only improvement we have noticed would be if they could do away with using Silverlight. This forces the users who view the reports the first time to install Silverlight and recently Google Chrome has stopped supporting Silverlight so we can't use that browser to view reports.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for three years.

I had no problems installing it.

The older versions had problems with memory leaks but those all seem to be resolved in v5.0.

No issues encountered.

10/10 as they always answer the phone and respond quickly to emails.

10/10 as they are also very helpful and quick at responding.

We used several different solutions (Chart Runner, Excel, Crystal, Xcelsius) but the problem was all the reports looked different, and only certain people could use each solution. This was a unifying solution that we all learned to use and the learning curve was very small. Also, we needed a way to deliver the charts and reports we created via a website which none of our older solutions allowed us to do this we would email the report or chart to everyone who needed it.

Deployment and upgrades are a breeze as the installation instructions were easy to follow.

Implementation Team

In-house IT setup the server ,and I installed it in about an hour.

ROI

We were not looking for an ROI monetary figure, but were looking for a tool that would help us collaborate data and share it in a more transparent way. With that in mind, it was a success and we feel a return on our investment.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Setup cost was the cost of the server license and the cost of setting up a virtual server, and I don't know the monetary figure. The day-to-day cost is just the yearly maintenance fee since we own the server and the license.

Other Solutions Considered

• Spider Strategies
  • QlikView
  • Roambi
  • Xcelsius.

Other Advice

Do the initial training (over Webex) and it will give you a good jump-start. Take the time to learn how to use the documentation there is a lot of good stuff in there. This is a great product!

2 Comments

it_user9528VendorTOP 5

I found a way to install silverlight after chrome blocks it and its simple and done in a couple seconds then allows you to install silverlight. The cloud version for microsoft bi is html 5 and is coming on premise eventually. This will solve the silverlight issue going forward. I will post the fix later for chromeand works for all versions.

19 May 15
it_user463581Real User

Silverlight would only be required on the older Dundas Dashboard. Dundas BI is native HTML 5 and doesn't require Silverlight. Either way I've used and enjoyed both DD and DBI.

16 June 16