Eaton PredictPulse Review

Automates service-call ticket generation on occasions where we have a UPS issue

What is our primary use case?

We're using Eaton's UPS systems with PredictPulse. All our UPSs are tied in. They report to PredictPulse with daily emails or notifications. We use PredictPulse to monitor the UPS systems and conditions.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the opportunity to know if we have an issue with a UPS and then it invokes the automated service ticketing system. So we don't really have to do anything. Eaton gets the alarm, they schedule the site visit, and they come and fix the problem.

What is most valuable?

I'm not aware of any feature other than the notifications. It provides notifications about our UPSs so that it can generate service calls automatically with Eaton. They get a monthly report.

Their field technicians are very good. For example, they're coming to replace a battery tonight. The issues that we have had with the systems have been pretty minor. We've had one bad module that they had to replace. There haven't been many issues with the product, but when there have been issues, they've been able to get onsite in a timely fashion and get them repaired. We've never had to have them come back. They've always been able to come out and make the repair without having to make a return visit.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if the way they do the emails, daily, is the best way. It seems like they could come up with a better solution for communication. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it just seems like it's a little outdated.

They could look at SMS messaging or multimedia messaging. I'm sure there are some other messaging-type systems available for generating less traffic than an email. Maybe they could provide a more secure messaging system. I would suggest that they look at other technology available.

We've been using PredictPulse for a year.

There are a lot of things have to be working for it to work; not just PredictPulse but everything on the customer's end has to be functioning too. But we haven't seen any issues with PredictPulse, itself, not getting the data. The only issue that I know of has been with the email server or internet connectivity; things you would tend to expect with this type of set up.

We don't have any plans to scale this any further. It's only being used for notification and generation of automated service calls.

Eaton's technical support has been great. They're top-notch.

We did not have a previous solution. We implemented PredictPulse to provide more visibility into the systems. We have our own automation system that monitors, but that still requires us to generate a service call. Eaton PredictPulse eliminates that and automates that aspect for us.

The initial setup was straightforward. We set up an email server and PredictPulse sends emails out every few minutes with the status of UPS. The biggest thing is that you have to have an email server that can handle the number of daily emails that it's generating. We have several UPS units so there are a lot of emails, but the setup wasn't a problem. It's not complex. You just need to understand that the system will generate a lot of emails on a daily basis.

If you're not a technical guy, you're not going to understand that. You have to be an IT person to understand how to set up PredictPulse. So different customers might give a different answer than I have.

For us, the setup of PredictPulse took a few minutes. It was pretty simple. You just set up the firmware and the UPS system has an email address and then you just turn it on.

We had Eaton come in. We gave them the IP configurations that they needed, the Ethernet configurations, SMTP configurations, etc. We gave them the information and then they programmed it and set it up. Our experience with their deployment team was fine. There were no problems.

We probably haven't seen return on our investment by going with PredictPulse because we haven't had the type of failure that would give us that. PredictPulse is risk-mitigation. So until you have a need to mitigate a risk, it's hard to get an ROI. You almost need a catastrophic failure to understand the value of the service.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is don't buy it just because it's there but because you have a need for it. You have to understand your own needs and then see if PredictPulse will be that solution to your needs.

The solution is doing what it needs to do. It's has provided us a service that we felt we needed.

The visibility the service provides into our UPS equipment through the reporting is okay. There isn't much to report other than the UPS conditions. We also have dynamic monitoring of our UPS systems, so the PredictPulse report confirms what we already know. The PredictPulse reports are fine. We don't have a problem with them. That's not really the reason we got PredictPulse, but there's no problem with them.

We use an Eaton Service Plan. The only remote monitoring we have is with PredictPulse. The repairs that we have had done through our agreement have met all of the criteria of our agreement, as far as responding and service go.

The only people we have using PredictPulse are data center engineers or critical facility technicians. It's a team of about six to seven people. We don't need any people for deployment and maintenance of PredictPulse because it's a managed service by Eaton.

More Eaton PredictPulse reviews from users