EMC Elastic Cloud Storage Review

The NFS service is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We have about 20 computing servers on the front end. The computing servers store the data from the network to our Dell EMC storage. We have found recently that the storage has become slower and slower. The capacity is enough but the performance seems not to be enough for our application.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to use the NFS service from Dell EMC storage.

What is most valuable?

NFS is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I have no problems with our application, but we have concerns about the write performance. We would also like it to be easier to scale out, to add more boxes to the system. And we want improved performance, to use a next-generation NFS service.

It's stable and easy to use.

Their response is quick. We just email or telephone to contact their support center. Dell EMC has local service in China so the response is very quick.

We wanted to know about new solutions for storage so we read about the performance. We had more and more servers on the front-end. We needed to scale out, to easily scale out our storage solution.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are that they provide local service - installation service, after-sales service, replacement service, and the response time. Also, we need a new technology that can scale out our storage.

Dell's engineers helped us to initiate the system. It seems their local engineers were not very familiar with the equipment, so they needed support by telephone or by email from headquarters. It's not complex. It was easy to install and initialize in our cabinet.

We evaluated Hewlett Packard storage, NetApp, and Huawei, a Chinese vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that others choose the newer models for scale-out storage, that are easy to scale out, easy to upgrade. With the older model we're using it is not easy to do so, so after about a year or two we need to buy a new set.

I would rate this solution at eight out of 10. Dell EMC provides good service, and their products are easy to use, to install and configure. When we first started using it the performance was okay, but when our application grew more complex, the performance was not enough for us. In our solution, it's not easy to scale out the system. We want to find another solution that is easy to scale out.