F5 Advanced Firewall Manager Review

Helps improve the security of my environment and has a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution to protect my web services.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps improve the security of my environment.

What is most valuable?

I find the signature base is very helpful to see traffic, to see the increase in web traffic.

What needs improvement?

The interface for applying the features could use improvement. There are too many buttons. For the buttons, you don't get a clear description. With the interface, you don't get a clear idea of what you are doing. This affects what is enabled and what is disabled. So if there is a little help, maybe some descriptions on them, it would be better. At least you wouldn't need to go to use Google before you find a particular feature to enable.

I have been using the solution for 1 year.

You don't necessarily call for technical support that gets deployed like Cisco does. With this, you have to go and look for all the support separately for the deployment and stuff like that. It makes work a little tiring. Otherwise, support is fine. It's just a question of how they are going to help you on the deployment when something is broken.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not too complex. We were very careful to not cause an outage. The implementation strategy was to keep it in transference mode to observe it for a while before we pushed it through to preventive mode.

I used a software team and had a little help from Google. We would have preferred to have support when we first started, instead of having to hire an engineer which charged us a little.

We didn't really evaluate other options. They were the top one at the time, so we decided to go for that.

What other advice do I have?

There should be more qualified support, like training videos or how to install features.

I would rate the solution 8 out of 10. If the user interface was more user-friendly, I'd rate it higher.