F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Overview

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. It is most often compared to Radware DefensePro: F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) vs Radware DefensePro

What is F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM)?

At F5, we give our customers the freedom to securely deliver every app, anywhere—with confidence. All F5 products are highly programmable and integrate into any environment, whether on premises or in any cloud. To date, 48 of the Fortune 50 companies rely on F5 to deliver apps that customers and employees can securely access at any time, on any device, from any location.

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is also known as F5 AFM, F5 Advanced Firewall Manager.

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Buyer's Guide

Download the F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Customers
City Bank, Ricacorp Properties, Miele, American Systems, Bangladesh Post Office
F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) pricing:
  • "It is somewhat on the expensive side although it is worth the additional cost."
  • "It's very expensive, and you pay extra for the models."

Oluwatosin Omojola
Systems Engineer at Datasure Solutions
Enables us to configure the product to the client's exact needs with unprecedented flexibility

What is our primary use case?

I use F5 AFM (Advanced Firewall Manager) for several solutions including firewall, load balancing, and security.

• "This product excells in every aspect from installation and the interface to providing superior network security."
  • "This would be absolutely the best network security solution if the price were not so high."

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any deployments that are exactly the same. For example, if I deployed everything as a solution for customer A and for customer B I do deployments with the same set of applications, and even then there are differences in the deployment. In all the experiences I have had, they have never been the same in my entire four-year experience installing the product. That shows how broad F5 is in its ability to manage situations and customize the experience for specific organizations. It is usually the case that customers tell us what they want to achieve. They tell us what the need is in…
SC
Contracted IP Development Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Good support, and capable of scaling

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to protect and to divide cells. We are not using AFM as a standalone product. We are using AFM with the LTM module, as a module. The main purpose of F5 is to use it as an ADC application to deal with the console.

• "The decryption is great."
  • "Deployment times vary according to the customer. It needs to be heavily configured. You need to look and you need to observe the behavior of the traffic before you can start configuring everything. It can take time."

What other advice do I have?

While some companies have now started to move these devices from on-premises to the cloud, most companies prefer not to do this due to security reasons. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a good product, but it may not be the absolute best on the market. Companies should examine NGINX or Palo Alto or others and compare them to see what would work best for their organization. I would recommend the solution. It's great for protecting servers from attacks. With controllers plus the firewall, you will only need one device to protect everything.
Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MH
Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Offers good IP geolocation, IP intelligence, and DDoS features and good scaling options

What is our primary use case?

We use three main features. The first one is access control. Access control would mainly use the IP geolocation feature. This feature in AFM lets you limit access to some countries and allow other countries. Some countries can access your service while others cannot access it. This is one feature which is called IP geolocation. The second feature we use is called IP intelligence. It's another feature of F5. It's like a straight feed for all blacklisted IP addresses in the world. They make categories for the blacklisted IP addresses, such as blacklists to a channel, blacklisted proxies… more »

• "We use three main features. The first one is access control. The second feature we use is called IP intelligence. Finally, we have a DDoS safety feature."
  • "Firstly, geolocation currently relies on manual updates. It has to move to automatic updates. There are no automatic updates for this feature. If some IPs, countries, or service providers move to another country, now you will be allow IPs that you previously denied. This is because you depend on the database, which doesn't update automatically. This is really a very important area that they need to improve."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution only for a published service. If you are publishing services outside the company, it's very good for us, but the biggest lesson is that it cannot be applied internally to replace a data center firewall. Sometimes, a company will introduce F5 to the place as a data center firewall. It's not a replacement for the DC firewall. It cannot replace the data center firewall but can be added to the service. I would rate this as eight out of ten.
Diego Gullo
IT Service Delivery Manager at Consys.it
Blocks various attacks and mitigates disasters from occurring

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem model of this solution. Our primary use case is to protect our software with a firewall.

• "It blocks various attacks and mitigates disasters from occurring."
  • "We needed to protect the database but the solution didn't offer a certain feature to do so."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product. I would recommend this solution to anybody evaluating it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JA
Technology Consultant / Cloud Security Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good support, and the functionality for blocking IPs works well

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for protection and blocking IPs for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that the blocking of IPs. F5 has many advantages.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we have eighty F5s and we need some kind of management software. It would be very helpful.  In the next release, I would like to have management and monitoring software included.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It's very stable.

It's not as easy to scale because you have to purchase new hardware to scale up.

How are customer service and technical

RB
Founder / Senior Security Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Stable and scalable with straightforward usability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a web application firewall.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very straightforward. The usability is great.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be a little bit better.

We've been selling the solution for five years now.

The solution is very stable. We haven't run into bugs, crashes or glitches. We find it reliable.

The solution is very scalable. Companies should not face issues when they need to expand.  We have 20 enterprises using the solution currently. They are mostly banks.