F5 BIG-IQ Review

Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS save work for us

What is our primary use case?

The use cases we're trying to implement together all access to their DMV and to deploy and add data to their data center. They were already using Citrix, but they wanted to replace it. I don't know why, but I think they already had contact with the F5 team.

What is most valuable?

Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS are the coolest features that save work for us.

What needs improvement?

The shell, kernel, or Linux has something like a delay, especially with the Virtual Edition when you are trying to implement it in the cloud and you want to access it remotely with web management. It would be great if they could improve their kernel. It was difficult for me, especially when I got started with BIG-IP. I was struggling to find which commands work with it. If you want to work with it, you have to be a Linux guy.

The GUI tries to be professional to work with. It's not designed for an amateur or someone that is just trying to get into the ADC world, network, or application delivery services.

We have been using this solution in-house for three months. Before that, I was studying BIG-IP and BIG-IQ. When we are already designed for a specific customer, then we have to implement it.

The stability of this solution is great.

In our current situation, we're not scaling anything, but in the future, as I know from my friend in the technical background at F5, we might look into scaling up.

The number of users depends if you look at our company size or the professional services from the F5 team. From my side, there would be two members. For remote, it would be two or three.

Their technical support is perfect. They were so supportive. The guys are great and they would do anything for you.

That's the problem, it's Linux. If you want to go to the config management at first, then you have to know the Linux command in order to have an IP configuration for your interfaces. After that, you'll have to manage it on the web. The initial configuration has to be on Linux, though. It was complex for me to set up BIG-IQ because I was coming in from a Windows background, not Linux.

The deployment time would be about two hours.

What other advice do I have?

First, call F5 support before trying to implement it by yourself. That's what I tried to do and there were a bunch of problems, so I would call their support first.

I would give this solution a nine out of ten.

More F5 BIG-IQ reviews from users