F5 BIG-IQ Overview

F5 BIG-IQ is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow Orchestration: F5 BIG-IQ vs ServiceNow Orchestration

What is F5 BIG-IQ?
F5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management provides a central point of control for F5 physical and virtual devices and for the solutions that run on them. It simplifies management, helps ensure compliance, and gives you the tools you need to deliver your applications securely and effectively.
F5 BIG-IQ Buyer's Guide

Download the F5 BIG-IQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

F5 BIG-IQ Video

Technical Engineer at marafaa
Easy to manage, saves time and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

BIG-IQ is just a controller for the appliances of BIG-IP. That's our main use case.

• "The GUI is fine, at least from an engineer's perspective."
  • "They could use YAML or JSON if they wanted to make it a little bit easier for us."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the finest in the industry. New users considering the solution need to understand that they need to have a solid background in networking and a few security verticals in order to successfully work with the solution. Without that, they won't be able to do anything with it beyond a basic integration. If you want to move to more advanced functionality, then you have to do programming. If you were going to implement it into a company that has a lot of web servers, you need to be familiar with APIs, JSON, JavaScript, et cetera. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten. It's…
IA
Senior System Engineer with 201-500 employees
Flexible and secure with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

At my previous job, I worked with a service provider in Qatar. We used F5 as a load balancer for the service to the customers. We also used it to secure their websites and email. At my current company, we use this solution and implement it for our customers as well. This solution is deployed on-premises.

• "We use this solution on a daily basis, and it is very stable."
  • "There are a lot of scripts available on the internet for people who know how to use them, but with a graphical interface, it would be easier for new users."

What other advice do I have?

F5 is a leader in this space and this is a solution that I recommend. For anybody considering this solution, if they have virtualization then I would suggest getting the F5 Big-IQ Virtual Edition, rather than the physical one. It will make it easier to install and troubleshoot. I don't know any solution on the market that is better than this one, but I do think that they need to make some enhancements. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Engineer at marafaa
Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS save work for us

What is our primary use case?

The use cases we're trying to implement together all access to their DMV and to deploy and add data to their data center. They were already using Citrix, but they wanted to replace it. I don't know why, but I think they already had contact with the F5 team.

• "Features like AFM, the gateway, and Global DNS are the coolest features that save work for us."
  • "The shell, kernel, or Linux has something like a delay, especially with the Virtual Edition, when you are trying to implement it in the cloud and you want to access it remotely with web management. It would be great if they could improve their kernel. It was difficult for me, especially when I got started with BIG-IP. I was struggling to find which commands work with it. If you want to work with it, you have to be a Linux guy."

What other advice do I have?

First, call F5 support before trying to implement it by yourself. That's what I tried to do and there were a bunch of problems, so I would call their support first. I would give this solution a nine out of ten.
AV
CEO at a government with 201-500 employees
Expensive and hard to administer, but offers good integrations

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web security, so for WAF. We also use the product for balancing some servers, and also to handle the panel's SSL.

• "The best aspect of the solution is that we can have everything integrated with a rather large capacity in order to personalize and configure specific rules."
  • "The solution should improve pricing. It's expensive in comparison to other American solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I believe we are using the latest version of the solution. The model we are using is 2000IP. I'd warn other organizations that you'll need to have a technical administrator on your team in order to manage the solution correctly. For that reason, I'd rate the solution four out of ten.
CM
Presales Consultant - Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Good centralized management and reporting, but better VAS integration is needed

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. BIG-IQ is a centralized management system for F5 appliances. For customers with multiple data centers or a lot of F5 appliances, it helps to manage their environment. With a centralized solution, it is easier to complete tasks like software upgrades and performing backups.

• "The reporting feature is quite good."
  • "Integration with VAS is something that they need to work on."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and I would recommend it but they need better integration with VAS. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Network Security Team Leader at Vietinbank
Helpful load balancing and WAF features, and the technical support is good

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are load balancing and WAF.

What needs improvement?

I had trouble with high availability deployment in my environment. I had searched for solutions online but have not been able to determine the root of the problem. Ultimately, I contacted F5 support to resolve the issue. I would like to see the Advanced Web Application Firewall included with this solution.

I have been using F5 BIG-IQ for about three years.

At the moment, this solution is stable.

The F5 solution scales very easily. If we have more boxes then we can just join them to the cluster.

How are customer service and

Product Categories
Process Automation
Download our free F5 BIG-IQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.