F5 BIG-IQ Review

Good centralized management and reporting, but better VAS integration is needed

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

BIG-IQ is a centralized management system for F5 appliances. For customers with multiple data centers or a lot of F5 appliances, it helps to manage their environment. With a centralized solution, it is easier to complete tasks like software upgrades and performing backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centralized management.

The reporting feature is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Integration with VAS is something that they need to work on.

I have been using BIG-IQ for close to one year.

My understanding is that the latest release is quite stable.

In this product, scalability is related to the number of devices. It is really good and it can scale up to 30 instances. The majority of our customers are medium-sized companies and enterprise-level organizations.

I have not had contact with technical support because I haven't had to raise any tickets.

Prior to BIG-IQ, F5 had a similar product called Enterprise Manager. It went end-of-life and was replaced with BIG-IQ. The reporting, integration, and certificate server have all been improved.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the use case. If the customer is only installing the LTM and the APM then it will not take long. If, however, there are multiple modules involved then it may take longer. This is because it takes time for the configurations to be loaded, especially for the VAS platforms and the policies.

Licensing fees are based on the number of devices.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and I would recommend it but they need better integration with VAS.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More F5 BIG-IQ reviews from users