FalconStor VTL [EOL] Review

We needed to decrease our reliance on tape. Before purchasing, verify that the storage and servers are compatible.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication, Integration with Falconstor Product Suite (NSS, RecoverTrac, HyperTrac), Tape Shipping

How has it helped my organization?

Falconstor VTL has enabled our business to decrease our reliance on tape for long term storage, while retaining extensive compatibility with existing backup software as it emulates the tape as a virtual device. Restore times are much faster from “tape” due to the disk based media.

What needs improvement?

Certification is required for servers. Falconstor is a software package that will only be supported on certified devices – this limits the range of servers and storage that are supported. Although certification is available, the product matrix is limited to specific devices that have achieved their storage or server certification.

Version 7.0 - 1.5 years

With the assistance of our local Falconstor Partner, we were able to achieve our goals of product delivery on time and with minimal effort.

The product is extremely reliable and stable. Product releases are frequent, as well as patches to address issues.

No issues.

Good

Excellent – although the times are odd. Support comes from Long Island, NY, and when 6:00 pm EST comes, the support area shifts to another location. This can be frustrating if working with the engineers in the US as the cross continent collaboration seems lacking.

ExaGrid – The reason for the switch was due to switch from local storage on servers / san to storage virtualization infrastructures built on Falconstor’s NSS Network Storage Server line of Storage Virtualization.

Installation was not difficult, as we contracted a certified Falconstor Partner to install. Configuration of the settings to get the optimal configuration and the training necessary to maintain the solution was comprehensive, and complex.

The installing Falconstor team was very knowledgeable in the product. They were able to quickly and thoroughly answer the questions we had in regard to the product matrices, their integration, functionality, and management.

What other advice do I have?

If the solution is architected around existing storage infrastructure, it’s possible to run into issues with compatibility. Check Falconstor’s supported infrastructures and servers/storage – verify that the storage and servers are compatible as support will not be offered to non-certified devices.