Firebird SQL Review

Lightweight and powerful

What is most valuable?

I like Firebird because it's very lightweight. It's very light and powerful. I can do everything that I can with MS SQL Server, and Oracle — I can do the same things with Firebird. It has some very interesting features. For example, I can update and insert with one statement. The deployment is very easy. I can deploy it on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows — it's very easy.

Also, the integration capabilities are great.

What needs improvement?

There aren't a lot of people using this solution — it's not very popular in the marketplace. It's been around for 21 years, but not many people have heard of it.

In the next release, it should support JSON, XML, and replication with third-party tools.

Firebird SQL is very stable.

Firebird is an open-source database. There is a dedicated onsite forum to converse with other users. I have never used technical support from the developer. I find all of the answers that I need in the forum — in the community.

Deployment is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

More Firebird SQL reviews from users
...who compared it with MySQL
Find out what your peers are saying about Firebird, PostgreSQL, Oracle and others in Open Source Databases. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.