GFI FaxMaker Review

We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and continue faxing

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backwards compatibility with some of our clients who don't necessarily use email much. We still work with some very small companies that are fax-based.

How has it helped my organization?

It lets us continue using fax without having to keep POTS lines in place. We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and all we have is internet connections and phone lines. We're all SIP and VoIP now.

What is most valuable?

Faxing through email would be the best feature it has.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are any features that need to be added.

We've had FaxMaker for at least five years now.

It's been pretty stable overall. It was a little rough in the beginning when we first deployed it. It would just stop working and we'd have to restart the server. It didn't throw an error; it just wouldn't work. We'd have to restart the server and then it would start working again, so that was a little bit rough. Better error reporting would be an improvement that I would like to see.

Lately, it hasn't happened much. It might have been the volume we were doing at the time. We do much less faxing now than we did then.

It's random, so that's the hard part. It just randomly stops working. Unless you're watching it, you don't know when it does it. Until I get a message that says my fax didn't go through, I don't know that the system is not working. There's no crash-dump reporting that I can find.

We just have one server and we don't have to scale it.

We have about 90 users. They range from an IT guy, like me, to the president of the company. Everybody has the ability to email a fax. It's just a server access point. We don't have to deploy any software to people's machines for them to use it, but only the users in the office use it.

I haven't used technical support.

Our phone system actually handled fax for us before we went to GFI. The solution was recommended to us by the consultant company that came in and replaced our phone system.

I was not involved in the original deployment. My previous boss did it. I know he had a third-party consultant come in and assist on it, so I'm guessing it was a little bit complex.

I'm involved in the maintaining of it and I'm the only one who does so in our company.

The ROI is that we still have fax abilities. If we didn't have GFI, we would not have fax in the building. We don't even have POTS lines in our new location, so I couldn't just fire up a fax machine.

We pay yearly and the cost is about $2,800.

We did look at actually keeping hard fax lines, but this was a better solution for our company at the time. We went with FaxMaker for cost reasons when compared to having to keep multiple POTS lines.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to take your time and make sure you have the setup right.

The biggest lesson I've learned from using this solution is that fax is still used today in business, surprisingly. It's an outdated solution, but it's still the most secure for certain things, as crazy as that sounds.

I would rate it at about an eight out of 10, only because of the fact that we had quite a few crashes and poor error response. But it works.