GFI FaxMaker Overview

What is GFI FaxMaker?

GFI FAXmaker is a leading fax server for small to medium-sized enterprises. It makes sending and receiving faxes an efficient, simple and cost effective process and solves the problems with manual faxing: printing out the document, walking to the fax machine, waiting for the fax to go through, not to mention the cost of fax machine supplies and repair. GFI FAXmaker allows users to send and receive faxes directly from their email client.

GFI FaxMaker Buyer's Guide

Download the GFI FaxMaker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

GFI FaxMaker Customers
ALFATECH, ABENA, Deli
GFI FaxMaker Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about GFI FaxMaker pricing:
  • "The way we have our phone system set up and our ISP, Faxmaker saves us a ton of money. I don't know what the cost would be for a cloud-based solution, but we've purchased this software, we purchased the license, we upgraded it and, through the wonders of our internet provider, we actually almost fax for free."
  • "It is worth its price."
  • "If you take a three year license, it will save you a little money. However, some people say, "Fax is dead." I recommend not to overbook it."
  • "We have about 1000 faxes a month, which would take three minutes to send manually. This is 3000 minutes or 50 hours a month that the company saves by using GFI FaxMaker. To manually fax would cost us a 1000 euros a month and the license costs us a 100 euros a month, so we are saving 900 euros a month. That is a bit over 10,000 euros a year. Therefore, I think it is worth it to have it."
  • "The pricing is okay. It's normal, modern IT pricing. It's not not that cheap. You can't buy the licenses anymore, it's subscription-based, but that's how everybody does it."
  • "For three years, it is about 1,000 euros. It is not dirt cheap, but the price is not bad."
  • "When our three years of license were up, we bought another three years. The fate of FaxMaker will be that it will stay until the fax gateway dies out, then it won't be replaced anymore. That may be in three to five years from now."
  • "The price is okay. Other products are more expensive."

GFI FaxMaker Reviews

Michael Livingston
IT Director at Thomas George Associates Ltd
Jun 1, 2020
Increased our productivity significantly and enables us to fax images from our imaging system

What is our primary use case?

We use it for sending outgoing faxes.

• "We use it so that it does create an email connection to the LAN and then it returns a message via email, to the user who sent it, with a followup as to whether it was successful or not. We're able to send faxes from all the PCs in our environment."
  • "One of the issues we have — and I'm not sure it's the product; I tend to believe it's usually the end-user that we're sending to — is that a lot of times we cannot connect. I'm not sure if it's a speed issue, whether we're sending too fast, whether it has something to do with their receiving, or whether it's an internet issue. But we experience about a 10 to 12 percent failure rate with faxes, where we have to fax again."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that your network is working well because the product will work well with a network that is working well. It's a decent all-around product, from what I can see. I keep a log of what goes out. I really don't archive. I set this up a long time ago and I've never really looked at it again. It works and we're done. We stamp it out as a "carbon copy" to everyone. It's doing the job that we want it to do. It requires minimal maintenance. Once in a while we have to restart the server, and sometimes we have to restart the hardware to the server. That might happen twice a year and it takes 10…
Herbert Haug
Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
May 21, 2020
Reduces manual labor and costs

What is our primary use case?

We have some old fax machines. Only one or two addresses are needed to fax because we have customers all around the world and some people who don't want to change to email. Therefore, we have a need to keep this fixed solution at our site. We also use it to send out faxes from our subsystem, where it is mostly needed. We normally use it by sending faxes via email. We have a fax connection from SAP to the email system with a fax gateway.

• "The reporting is getting a bit better, as you can see what is coming though the line. We can now use the browser to get reports with the latest update. I also have information from up to four years ago regarding the fax statistics."
  • "I would like to see in the GFI FaxMaker console where the fax came from or was sent. Right now, I can only investigate the log file, make a record from it, and search by Excel when there was a fax."

What other advice do I have?

The only rule that we have setup is that an administrator gets an email. I am not sure that we will go on the solution's OCR option. With the faxes sent with the SAP system, we can see the delivery node, invoice, etc. Therefore, we don't need to store it twice. I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).
Learn what your peers think about GFI FaxMaker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ralf Werner
IT Professional / Team Leader at Aos Stahl GmbH und Co Kg
May 21, 2020
Provides a mobile solution for our employees when on the road, but a push-install option for setup would help

What is our primary use case?

We sell steel fences, steel gates, and the like. We have to work with a lot of companies that design gardens for people. Naturally, those companies are pretty small and their equipment is pretty old, and they like to receive a fax instead of an email because that way they have it printed in their hands. They can put their signature on it and put it back into the fax machine and send it to us. It's mostly for the sales department.

• "Since any of our employees can sign in to FaxMaker from anywhere around the world, if they have the software on their computer, they pretty much take their fax machine with them. It's very mobile."
  • "It would be nice if the server provided a self-deploying package, as an MSI. Maybe the updated versions have it, but if you are connecting to a new machine and you want FaxMaker installed on it, you would just connect the server and it would do a push-install. That would be nice."

What other advice do I have?

It's easy, especially for the older generation, even though we in IT would like to get rid of it as soon as we could. But that's not going to happen anytime soon. Currently, we're not using the solution’s OCR (optical character recognition) option to convert faxes to editable and searchable text, but that would be an interesting feature for our document integration in the future. We're not using it right now because the number of faxes we receive is declining.
Axel Wittich
Manager of IT and Operations at B E S T Fluidsysteme GmbH
May 11, 2020
A stable solution to get faxes into our document management system

What is our primary use case?

We use it for receiving from our fax gateway and dropping faxes into our email service. We are a sales company with many customers who work directly at workbenches and workshops. Therefore, we still receive a lot of orders from fax. It's declining, but we still do. We have a fax gateway, which is hooked up to the GFI software, and it simply gets the faxes and drops them into the FaxMaker. FaxMaker puts them in a folder where our document management system picks them up. It also makes sure that everything works and sends them out in an email. We are using the latest version.

• "It is rather stable, and we need a stable solution to get faxes into our document management system. You just use it and don't have to fool around with it."
  • "This is used as a legacy system. I don't think there will be that many faxes going forward. On the other side of the chain (with invoices), we have a postage stamp machine that has a similar career. Basically, everything is not online, as nobody receives faxes anymore."

What other advice do I have?

It does what it should. It is stable and you don't have to maintain it that much. Outgoing taxes are handled differently. We don't use FaxMaker for that. We don't send that many faxes anymore. Basically, we use a printer, where we print it out and the printer faxes it out. These are not for personal faxes. I would rate it a 10 (out of 10). It does what we need and is stable.
Chuck Schurman
Help Desk Supervisor at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Leaderboard
Apr 5, 2020
We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and continue faxing

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backwards compatibility with some of our clients who don't necessarily use email much. We still work with some very small companies that are fax-based.

• "It lets us continue using fax without having to keep POTS lines in place. We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and all we have is internet connections and phone lines."
  • "It was a little rough in the beginning when we first deployed it. It would just stop working and we'd have to restart the server. It didn't throw an error; it just wouldn't work... Better error reporting would be an improvement that I would like to see."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to take your time and make sure you have the setup right. The biggest lesson I've learned from using this solution is that fax is still used today in business, surprisingly. It's an outdated solution, but it's still the most secure for certain things, as crazy as that sounds. I would rate it at about an eight out of 10, only because of the fact that we had quite a few crashes and poor error response. But it works.
reviewer1346610
Senior Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
May 14, 2020
Stable solution that is easy to scale up and across users

What is our primary use case?

We are working with a customer in the SMS domain. This is for incoming and outgoing faxes. Therefore, our developer has developed an application that will automatically send a fax from the application via FaxMaker. It makes a copy to the phone system, which sends it out externally. It is also the same for our two customers. Though at the moment, only one of our customers works with it because the other customer is moving all their systems to the cloud. Now, our telephone provider, who is our line provider, has proposed fax to email. This way, the customer can send fax directly from Outlook to… more »

• "The initial setup is not complex; it is clear and uncomplicated. If you can install software, then you can install FaxMaker."
  • "It is usable only with a local system. When everything is in the cloud, nobody uses it."

What other advice do I have?

The product is okay and working fine. Everything that we want to do with the product, we can do it. We also use GFI MailEssentials. It is possible to use rules within the solution to route incoming faxes based on the sender’s ID and phone number, but we don't use this feature. I would rate the product as an eight or nine (out of 10).