GFI FaxMaker Review

A stable solution to get faxes into our document management system

What is our primary use case?

We use it for receiving from our fax gateway and dropping faxes into our email service.

We are a sales company with many customers who work directly at workbenches and workshops. Therefore, we still receive a lot of orders from fax. It's declining, but we still do. We have a fax gateway, which is hooked up to the GFI software, and it simply gets the faxes and drops them into the FaxMaker. FaxMaker puts them in a folder where our document management system picks them up. It also makes sure that everything works and sends them out in an email.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

We needed a project which reliably transfers faxes from the fax gateway into our document management system. That was basically the thing we were looking for, and it needed to be stable.

We have a document management system with DocuWare where there is a special entry for faxes that simply drops into our process chain. There is no need to email stuff around. Though these are not personalized faxes, just company faxes. This is not like a personal fax.

This is for company entry and not distributed personally. Faxes are sorted for departments, e.g., the technical ones go to the technical department.

What is most valuable?

It is rather stable, and we need a stable solution to get faxes into our document management system. You just use it and don't have to fool around with it.

What needs improvement?

This is used as a legacy system. I don't think there will be that many faxes going forward. On the other side of the chain (with invoices), we have a postage stamp machine that has a similar career. Basically, everything is not online, as nobody receives faxes anymore.

We have been using FaxMaxer for seven years now.

It is low maintenance, which is good. While it runs on its machine, if you maintain that machine, then you don't have to do much with it.

Our IT just looks after the server for a while. There is nothing to be done until there are some updates, etc.

We are a small company. We have one fax number working with it that drops it out in one output bin. We use this thing to automate our faxes. The company has 30 employees, but nobody uses it personally.

The whole faxing thing is on the decline. It is mostly email now, as nobody uses faxes anymore. When I started in 2012, we received like 80 to 250 faxes a week. Now, it's like 20 a month.

We used the technical support once last week, and it was good. We got what we wanted.

We were looking for a solution for the tool that we had before because it was no longer supported. Our IT partner suggested FaxMaker, and we went with it.

Our IT partner did the setup. We had FaxMaker installed, and it ran.

It is hard to tell if we have seen ROI. We need the fax gateway so it is part of the return of investment, but it's not a big invest. It's deep in the back-end.

There are a gazillion fax applications. We installed this solution, and it works. I don't think we did a big market research until we bought the license again. For three years, it is about 1,000 euros. It is not dirt cheap, but the price is not bad.

When our three years of license were up, we bought another three years. The fate of FaxMaker will be that it will stay until the fax gateway dies out, then it won't be replaced anymore. That may be in three to five years from now.

What other advice do I have?

It does what it should. It is stable and you don't have to maintain it that much.

Outgoing taxes are handled differently. We don't use FaxMaker for that. We don't send that many faxes anymore. Basically, we use a printer, where we print it out and the printer faxes it out.

These are not for personal faxes.

I would rate it a 10 (out of 10). It does what we need and is stable.