GFI FaxMaker Review

Provides a mobile solution for our employees when on the road, but a push-install option for setup would help

What is our primary use case?

We sell steel fences, steel gates, and the like. We have to work with a lot of companies that design gardens for people. Naturally, those companies are pretty small and their equipment is pretty old, and they like to receive a fax instead of an email because that way they have it printed in their hands. They can put their signature on it and put it back into the fax machine and send it to us.

It's mostly for the sales department.

How has it helped my organization?

A big advantage of FaxMaker is that it replaces hardware-based faxes. For us, setting up hardware-based faxes is pretty annoying.

Since any of our employees can sign in to FaxMaker from anywhere around the world, if they have the software on their computer, they pretty much take their fax machine with them. It's very mobile.

We're sending about five faxes a day as a company. In terms of time-savings, overall, it saves us somewhere on the order of six hours a month, as a broad estimate.

What is most valuable?

Once it's up and running, it's pretty convenient. There's a simple, major rule and that is: If you can print it then you can also send it as a fax, because FaxMaker is actually a printer, and that's very convenient.

The management console is pretty straightforward. It's pretty easy to handle, even if our version's management console is a bit old.

It enables us to fax via email and similar systems, that's how we do it. It has Exchange integration as far as I know, and that's its major use. You receive a fax as an email and you can send an email as a fax. That's the whole point of it, for us at least. The ability to send faxes this way saves us time. The only better way to do it would be to not send faxes at all.

I have been using GFI FaxMaker for the last three years, which is as long as I've been at the company, but I believe the company has had it for six or seven years.

So far, it has been running pretty smoothly. It's doing what it's supposed to. We've never had any problems.

It's easy to replicate to other users. We have 68 users on 70 licenses. It's used mostly by sales, but purchasing and quality management also use it within our company.

It would be nice if the server provided a self-deploying package, as an MSI. Maybe the updated versions have it, but if you are connecting to a new machine and you want FaxMaker installed on it, you would just connect the server and it would do a push-install. That would be nice.

I haven't had to use GFI's technical support for FaxMaker.

We did not have a previous solution.

The deployment was pretty easy.

I haven't done the setup for quite some time now because we are using a type of instant-clone technology where I only have to set it up once, on one computer, and that computer gets cloned in real-time if we need to add new users. So I don't have to redo it all the time. But in the past, it took me about 10 minutes to set it up on one computer. I'm only talking about the client setup, when the server is already there.

The server may take a little longer, but I didn't have to do that. It was already installed when I arrived here.

The IT department maintains the solution. There are two people involved with FaxMaker, registering new users and managing the fax numbers.

The pricing is okay. It's normal, modern IT pricing. It's not not that cheap. You can't buy the licenses anymore, it's subscription-based, but that's how everybody does it.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy, especially for the older generation, even though we in IT would like to get rid of it as soon as we could. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Currently, we're not using the solution’s OCR (optical character recognition) option to convert faxes to editable and searchable text, but that would be an interesting feature for our document integration in the future. We're not using it right now because the number of faxes we receive is declining.