GFI FaxMaker Review

Reduces manual labor and costs

What is our primary use case?

We have some old fax machines. Only one or two addresses are needed to fax because we have customers all around the world and some people who don't want to change to email. Therefore, we have a need to keep this fixed solution at our site. We also use it to send out faxes from our subsystem, where it is mostly needed.

We normally use it by sending faxes via email. We have a fax connection from SAP to the email system with a fax gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

When a fax is sent with GFI FaxMaker. the person who sends or receives the fax will get an email. In that email, there is an PDF attached with the original fax that has gone through. We have an email archiving AD where we have stored all those fax emails over the last 10 years.

What is most valuable?

The console is still the same as it has been for the last 10 years. It is very easy to add new new users and licenses.

The reporting is getting a bit better, as you can see what is coming though the line. We can now use the browser to get reports with the latest update. I also have information from up to four years ago regarding the fax statistics. This shows me that the fax volume is decreasing.

We have the PDF option. I can see all the faxes which come through by finding the corresponding PDF file.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in the GFI FaxMaker console where the fax came from or was sent. Right now, I can only investigate the log file, make a record from it, and search by Excel when there was a fax.

We have 100 faxes from SAP which go out at some point over two lines and this takes about an hour. I don't see the log file for when the fax has arrived in the fax queue, only when it has been sent. It would sometimes be helpful to see how long it took until the fax was sent. Currently, once the action has been complete, I am unable to view it in the logs.

More than 10 years.

It is a stable solution.

I maintain this solution by myself.

We have about 50 people using the FaxMaker solution. We don't send so many faxes. We receive more faxes than we send.

We have reduced it from two years ago from 2000 faxes a month to about a thousand faxes a month. It's reducing, but it's working fine.

We have a partner who does other work for us. They are also a Microsoft partner. If we need any support, we receive it quickly. I have a problem about once a year, and it is usually solved in two to three hours.

Before we had this solution, we used an Austrian product.

The initial setup was not so complex. We had a partner helping us.

We have reduced 10 fax machines to three. To set them up to the GFI FaxMaker, we had to change the fax number to the GFI number. I spend about six days a year on GFI.

We have a partner, Consit, who installed the latest version. We did an update three months ago. If needed, they come onsite to us. I would recommend them.

We do the administration on our own, but it is easy to administrate.

We have seen ROI with this solution.

I remember that about 20 years ago there was one person who used to spend the day working on loading faxes into the fax machine. This solution makes life easier.

We have about 1000 faxes a month, which would take three minutes to send manually. This is 3000 minutes or 50 hours a month that the company saves by using GFI FaxMaker. To manually fax would cost us a 1000 euros a month and the license costs us a 100 euros a month, so we are saving 900 euros a month. That is a bit over 10,000 euros a year. Therefore, I think it is worth it to have it.

It is worth its price.

If you take a three year license, it will save you a little money. However, some people say, "Fax is dead." I recommend not to overbook it. While we had a need to add more licenses than we had before, it depends on the company's need.

We have added some new licenses this year. We are only using 75 licenses. At our location, we have about 50 employees.

What other advice do I have?

The only rule that we have setup is that an administrator gets an email.

I am not sure that we will go on the solution's OCR option. With the faxes sent with the SAP system, we can see the delivery node, invoice, etc. Therefore, we don't need to store it twice.

I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).