GFI FaxMaker Review

Increased our productivity significantly and enables us to fax images from our imaging system

What is our primary use case?

We use it for sending outgoing faxes.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to send faxes via email was the purpose of our getting this solution. The nature of our business at one time was to get up, go to a filing cabinet, grab a file folder, and manually fax it. If we look back to the day where we were still using filing cabinets and compare it to using this, it probably saves us 20 minutes per file that we've worked on during the course of a day. It increased productivity, so instead of handling something like six files a day, we're now handling upwards of 30 files a day. That's a significant improvement.

Once we put an imaging system into place many years ago, this product became very useful because it then allowed us to take the images that were connected to a file that we were working on and fax out the necessary documents.

We use the solution to meet compliance or regulatory requirements indirectly because of the nature of our business. We have to be HIPAA compliant and we have to be ISO compliant, we have to be compliant with New York law, and we have to meet certain ANSI standards. The only thing we really didn't get into was the new GDPR stuff that came out, but we don't do any international stuff so we don't worry about that. But for legal purposes, our business requires us to have a place where documentation can be received, and faxing fits that mold.

We send roughly 80,000 faxes a year. The way we have our phone system set up and our ISP, Faxmaker saves us a ton of money. I don't know what the cost would be for a cloud-based solution, but we've purchased this software, we purchased the license, we upgraded it and, through the wonders of our internet provider, we actually almost fax for free.

What is most valuable?

For the users, they just fax stuff out with it. We've integrated it with our imaging system and it also works standalone. It seems to work very well for us.

We use it so that it does create an email connection to the LAN and then it returns a message via email, to the user who sent it, with a followup as to whether it was successful or not. We're able to send faxes from all the PCs in our environment.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues we have — and I'm not sure it's the product; I tend to believe it's usually the end-user that we're sending to — is that a lot of times we cannot connect. I'm not sure if it's a speed issue, whether we're sending too fast, whether it has something to do with their receiving, or whether it's an internet issue. But we experience about a 10 to 12 percent failure rate with faxes, where we have to fax again.

We've been using GFI FaxMaker for 15 years at least.

In all the time we've been using it, it has been a pretty solid product.

We probably started with a 25-user license. Now we're up to a 50-user license. We have been able to migrate it up easily and I'm sure, with the advent of what's going on in our country, I'm going to be migrating it down.

I don't recall ever having to use their technical support.

We just had a basic fax machine before Faxmaker.

I actually hired someone to set it up for us and they spent what appeared to be about a day and a half setting it up. That was back in the day when you would use a Brooktrout card and had to configure that in addition to the software. After that there was the testing.

When we went to a local area network methodology, we had to buy a device that interfaced between the LAN and the fax server, which would eliminate the use of the board that was in the old PC. It took a couple of days to get that worked up, besides waiting for the hardware device to show up.

The last time we had an upgrade with it was with the Windows operating system. That was just a minor change in how we were sending the faxes through the network via email through the fax server. In the transition to Windows 10 there was a little hiccup, but once we figured it out, we migrated it over easily, as far as the client side goes

We bought it such a long time ago that we just pay upgrade fees for licensing, and they are pretty inexpensive. I usually do it in three-year shots because that gives us some savings. It's in a good price range.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that your network is working well because the product will work well with a network that is working well. It's a decent all-around product, from what I can see.

I keep a log of what goes out. I really don't archive. I set this up a long time ago and I've never really looked at it again. It works and we're done. We stamp it out as a "carbon copy" to everyone. It's doing the job that we want it to do.

It requires minimal maintenance. Once in a while we have to restart the server, and sometimes we have to restart the hardware to the server. That might happen twice a year and it takes 10 minutes if we have to do a hard reboot or two minutes if it's just shutting down Faxmaker and restarting it.