Google Kubernetes Engine Review

Good for microservices and almost zero downtime for deployment

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for authorization and service deployment.

What is most valuable?

The CLI commands are good.

What needs improvement?

The network configuration has to be simplified.

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface. Currently, it is a little complex, and the technical guides are not easy to follow. Compared to other applications, the documentation needs a lot of improvement.

Cluster-based software support needs to be improved.

Two years.

Stability-wise, this solution is really good.

Scalability for this solution depends on the application. For normal microservice-related applications where there is no clustering, it is really evolved and easy to scale. However, for cluster-based applications such as MariaDB, or other cluster-based tools, scalability is complex and it needs to have more documentation.

We are using the solution for managing deployments, so there are only five or six users.

We have not subscribed to outside help for this solution. We have been using Google to search the forums for issues that we encounter. There is no defined place where I can refer problems and find answers.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is not straightforward. While it is not too difficult, there are some complexities. For example, sometimes when we add to the network there is an error and something goes wrong, which means that we have to start again, from scratch.

This is an open source solution, so there is no pricing or licensing.

I evaluated Docker Swarm, but compared to that, Kubernetes is very good. Docker Swarm is only for small applications.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good product for independent applications or microservices. The downtime is minimal, and we have even made it zero downtime for deployment. However, when they are cluster-based applications, it is really complex.