Google Kubernetes Engine Overview

Google Kubernetes Engine is the #6 ranked solution in our list of Container Management software. It is most often compared to Trend Micro Deep Security: Google Kubernetes Engine vs Trend Micro Deep Security

What is Google Kubernetes Engine?

Kubernetes Engine is a managed, production-ready environment for deploying containerized applications. It brings our latest innovations in developer productivity, resource efficiency, automated operations, and open source flexibility to accelerate your time to market.

Google Kubernetes Engine is also known as GKE.

Google Kubernetes Engine Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Kubernetes Engine Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Google Kubernetes Engine Customers

Philips Lighting, Alpha Vertex, GroupBy, BQ

Google Kubernetes Engine Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Kubernetes Engine pricing:
  • "We are planning to use external support, and hire a commercial partner for it."
  • "Currently, it costs around $1000 per month which sorted our deployment. So once we get more clients, having a huge suffix, costs can go up."
  • "This is an open source solution, so there is no pricing or licensing."

Google Kubernetes Engine Reviews

Vyacheslav Balvinskiy
Head of Infra and Applications support department at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
May 24, 2019
An improvement over our traditional methods but additional security is required

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to arrange the correct CICD (Continuous Integration / Continous Deployment) conveyor to provide for continuous changes in production.

• "Before using this solution, it was a lot of manual tasks and a lot of people participated in the process."
  • "I think that security is an important point, and there should be additional features for the evaluation of data in containers that will create a more secure environment for usage in multi-parent models."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is not to implement this solution unless there is a genuine demand for it from the business side. It can be useful to start from the bottom of the infrastructure and take it to the highest level because it requires changes in the development and business levels to work with this technology. I think that there is enough documentation available to start to work with this product. The technology provides a very good opportunity to grow and improve. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Vaisakh Tr
Chief Technology Officer at Prophaze
Mar 15, 2020
Offers instantaneous scaling up features, RAM and hard disks are easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

This is Prophaze deployed in Kubernetes. So we have a Kubernetes. For example, Uber, they have all their sectors deployed in Kubernetes. There should be a native production for Kubernetes. We can have a separate cloud security solution for Kubernetes. Your solution has to be in Kubernetes. Because it should be a Kubernetes solution. So the WAF, in general, can be deployed in Kubernetes as a network solution.

• "The scalability is the best feature."
  • "It needs to support load balancing."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody considering this solution is to understand that you need to have everything ready before implementation. You need to have a migration strategy. I would rate Google Kubernetes Engine an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Google, HashiCorp, Nutanix and others in Container Management. Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DimaDorofeyev
Senior DevOps/Build Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 10, 2019
Easy to control and manage containers at all levels and is easy to create CD

What is our primary use case?

Kubernetes Engine is a platform that spins off applications so they can be run at scale at a high level. We are currently migrating from on-premises to the cloud version.

• "The initial setup was very easy because it's like a Google platform as a service. It's just one button to set it up. The deployment took only a few minutes."
  • "There are some security issues, but it might just be because we are not up to speed yet as much as we should be and so we haven't found it in the documentation yet. That's why I don't want to confuse this. Still, it could be a little bit easier to understand and implement."

What other advice do I have?

Management and deployment of a lot of containers could be very easy. It saves us time. I think Kubernetes is really a fast developing and easy to use platform. I would probably rate it as nine out of ten since it does have a little bit of room for improvement.
Balamurali P
Solution Architect at Tata Elxsi
Jun 17, 2019
Good for microservices and almost zero downtime for deployment

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for authorization and service deployment.

• "Stability-wise, this solution is really good."
  • "The network configuration has to be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good product for independent applications or microservices. The downtime is minimal, and we have even made it zero downtime for deployment. However, when they are cluster-based applications, it is really complex. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Product Categories
Container Management
Download our free Container Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, HashiCorp, Nutanix, and more!