Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
With our previous solution we had issues with replication and tiering. Our nightly backup jobs now run much quicker.

Valuable Features:

1. Replication between sites
  2. Migration
  3. Dynamic Provisioning
  4. Tearing
  5. Manageability
  6. Easy user interface

Improvements to My Organization:

A real example is that before 3PAR, the nightly batch job would start at 7:30 PM and run until the next day in the afternoon, until around 2:00 PM.

Now with the 3PAR storage platform, the night batch job starts at the same time (7.30 PM) and finishes at 4.00 AM (instead of 2:00 PM the next day).

Room for Improvement:

Firmware stability could be improved. Apart from that I can't think of anything else.

Use of Solution:

We have been using this solution for more than a year.

3PAR 10400 (Production) and 7400 (DR - location)

Deployment Issues:

No issues with the deployment and we had very good support from the vendor. It's very easy to get it going.

Stability Issues:

A part of the firmware for the controller had a bug that caused some issues while doing the Dynamic tiering, however once we upgraded it was fixed.

Scalability Issues:

No, there is plenty of room to grow.

On a scale from 1-10 I will give them a 9.

We had a quick turnaround time with one issue, and even a dedicated engineer working with us even though the issue was on the network side for the replication. Overall, we have very good support.

Previous Solutions:

We had a XP24K and a EVA 6000 and we were experiencing challenges in replication and doing tiering. That was one of the main reasons we chose to switch.

Initial Setup:

It is very straight forward. Any person with basic storage knowledge can do the installation, with no specific training required.

Implementation Team:

We implemented through a vendor for the production site, PKA Technologies, and using what we learned, we have implemented the DR site in-house.

They are very helpful, and even after the implementation they have provided support for troubleshooting on the network issue.

ROI:

According to the performance and scalability of the product, a rough calculation is that in three years we will be able to get an ROI.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Original cost was about $2 million. Day to day, it's just the cost of the power to run the hardware.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated Hitachi HUS VM, and EMC alongside 3PAR.

Other Advice:

We are using the SSD but not flash. Even without that part, we are very satisfied with the performance.

It is reasonable and good product.

2 visitors found this review helpful
Calvin zito li?1414332423Reviewer148614 li?1414338641

3 Comments

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Great review! HP 3PAR All-Flash won the All-Flash Array Product of the Year Award from TechTarget. I have a blog that talks about it. http://hpstorage.me/19Cw9a8. There's been lots of other "best of" for the HP 3PAR family - if you're interested in those, drop me an email at hpstorageguy at hp dot com.

Like (0)28 February 15
Anonymous avatar x30
SrSymEngineerReal User

Nice review, could you share what kind of batch jobs you would run during the night that took forever and which backup solution you have installed?
We upgrader from a 3PAR T400 to a StoreServ 7400, so we were already a bit spoiled ;-)

Like (1)09 April 15
Anonymous avatar x30

The batch job is for Oracle application CC&b to do the billing calculation, the backup solution we used it commvault

Like (1)09 April 15

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 203,888 professionals have used our research on 5,518 solutions.