HPE 3PAR StoreServ Overview

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top NAS tools. It is most often compared to HPE Primera: HPE 3PAR StoreServ vs HPE Primera

What is HPE 3PAR StoreServ?

HP 3PAR all-flash storage accelerates business agility by boosting application performance with over 900,000 IOPS at less than 0.7 ms latency. And it does this while delivering all the enterprise-class, Tier-1 features and functionality you expect from the storage platform that powers three of the world’s four largest managed service providers.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is also known as HPE 3PAR Flash Storage, InServ, Storeserv, 3PAR Flash Storage, HP Enterprise Storage, 3PAR Flash Array, HP 3PAR Flash Storage .

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Customers

Just Energy, Latisys, team AG, DreamWorks, BlueShore Financial, Erasmus MC

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE 3PAR StoreServ pricing:
  • "It is quite difficult to decide on the cost. At one point, I was the project lead to cover with some people, but the price was important and we had its compression calculated. At that moment, it was fair because that was one of the things moving their product due to the cost of HPE 3PAR StoreServ as they were competing with Hitachi and IBM A9000, which I'm not sure if is still available."
  • "It is lower in price as compared to other vendors, such as Dell. As compared to Huawei, all storage solutions are expensive, including this one."
  • "Its price is a bit high for adding another tree, but when we purchased it, it was okay with us. We had compared it with EMC and other solutions, and it was okay at that point in time. Our storage has a lifespan of seven to eight years. When you purchase it, you need to keep a headroom of around 40% to 50%. After three to four years, you generally plan for an upgrade. The price is not so bad today for two years or so, and within a year, I might find that I have to upgrade or increase the storage. This usually happens when there is a radical change or a new application has come that is consuming a lot of data, but generally, there is a plan for the amount of data that we generate and the storage upgrade."
  • "It is a bit more expensive. IBM is cheaper than HPE in Turkey."
  • "The SSD is a little bit expensive."
  • "The cost is reasonable given that the licensing is all included once you purchase it."

CP
SAN Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Robust and easy to use with a simple setup

What is our primary use case?

Generally, clients use the solution as primary storage or data storage for corporations. They also use it for data replication where they replicate to another site or even on the same site. They're typically replicating the data for a backup situation.

• "The product stands on its own in heavy enterprise environments."
  • "HP has several integration elements that work with other vendor storage products. I'd like to see a greater expansion on that so that a customer can do a more seamless migration from other vendor products."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant and an HPE partner and I have my hands on several different things in terms of products I use. Normally I work with all the versions as far as software versions. I've worked with all the different hardware, 3PAR versions as well, and I do a lot of installations. The big thing and with 3PAR and with any other storage - and this goes for any kind of storage as you're sizing - is to make sure that you are getting the right size environment for what you currently have and what you expect for future growth. Otherwise, you may run into performance issues. On a scale from one to ten…
MV
Storage Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly graphical user interface and simplifies reporting for easy management

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE 3PAR StoreServ for data storage. Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) had something in the contract because if you can compress data very well, you don't need that much capacity in your systems. If it was not possible to compress to a certain degree, they put some extra capacity in the systems. We bought that borrowed capacity but they separated the one-piece storage boxes added to our environment to get along with that bigger growth in capacity. Despite that, it is a wonderful system with an excellent graphical user interface. Still, new functions are being rolled out.

• "There are a lot of screens for easy management where you can change some settings. But after a few years, the important settings were better after an upgrade, and all the vendors have other ways to upgrade their systems."
  • "HPE 3PAR StoreServ has limited flexibility in building replication solutions. There are limitations to the number of IOPS the system can do. It's not bad as it is doing its job. However, for the application, if you need a toolbox, you can build everything concerning periodic replication modes of synchronous or asynchronous three-site, four-site, with supported cascading which requires you to buy an IBM product. It also takes a few hours to one day to upgrade the system and sometimes; it takes more time because, in some HPE 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage, you have an eight-node system. If you do an upgrade, you do it node by node and every node might take more than an hour."

What other advice do I have?

The job of direct channel support to HPE 3PAR StoreServ is not an end of life or end of support but HPE Primera has now replaced it and I hope they get all the functionality in there like the HPE 3PAR. I remember it seems like HPE 3PAR and HPE Primera have support for volume plugins and that will be a big game if they can implement volumes on their system because that kind of release is much better than the datastore level.
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IO
IT Infrastructure & Data Center Operation Engineer at Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), Egypt
Very stable, easy to scale, and allows us have tiered storage and distribute RAID for any volume

What is our primary use case?

I use 3PAR as the standard storage. The main production is VMware, and it is connected to 3PAR across fabric switch. The fabric switch between them is MDS Switch and Notebook 8. We also have a Hyper-V environment, which is connected to the same storage. The main service is the exchange service. I have a public cloud and a private cloud. I use 3PAR as a private cloud.

• "3PAR is different from other storage solutions because it uses a chunklet when we initiate the storage. Every disk is submitted as a 1 GB chunklet. This chunklet can be RAID 1, 4, 5, or 6. This fabulous feature is very useful for me because I can distribute the RAID for any volume. The adaptive optimization is the biggest feature in 3PAR. 3PAR is very usable with thin volume because it detects zeros while writing. Every time I tell the hypervisor to make the full provisioning, it makes the volume as simple provisioning in 3PAR, not full provisioning. Other vendors take this volume as thick provisioning because of which the capacity is reached quickly. It doesn't happen in 3PAR because it detects zeros. It only writes the data, and it doesn't write zeros. There are two processors in 3PAR: the ASIC processor and the main processor. The ASIC processor detects zero writing and doesn't write it, which is a big feature in 3PAR."
  • "File Persona can be better. I don't use File Persona because it has many problems with my environment. The antivirus that it has is not compatible with File Persona, and that's a big issue with File Persona. 3PAR is not as good as Dell when making a file in the storage. 3PAR for a block is very good, but when comparing row capacity, I get 14% capacity with 3PAR, but with Dell, I get 60% capacity."

What other advice do I have?

If you are a new company and you need more capacity, availability, and scalability, you can choose 3PAR. Otherwise, you can choose another storage. When you put 3PAR, you must tell the customers about the usable capacity from the first day, not the row capacity. I would recommend taking the official course from HP for 3PAR before performing any tasks. This is because 3PAR is not easy to manage in your IT environment. You must know everything about storage and how everything is written in the storage. I would rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ an eight out of ten.
Sisir Ghosh
Deputy Manager at CESC Ventures
Great reliability, stability, scalability, and user interface

What is our primary use case?

We use it only for storage.

• "Its stability is the most valuable. It has soft alerts. When an alert is raised, we get a call from HP saying that there is this type of alert, and they need to do a remote session to check things. Similarly, for firmware updates, they get in touch to say that a firmware upgrade is required on your storage. They schedule a time and take control remotely to upgrade the firmware. In all such cases, there is no downtime. Everything is done when a full-fledged operation is going on. Its user interface is also quite good. We are quite accustomed to this user interface. We can easily take a look at the current usage or the amount of storage. It is quite easily understandable, and I can present those things to my seniors or other people who are not that tech-savvy, and they can easily understand what we are trying to tell them. We can easily show them that we are using around 87% of the storage, so we need to plan for another tree and things like that."
  • "Its price is a bit high for adding another tree."

What other advice do I have?

3PAR is very much reliable. In these four years, I've not raised a single ticket with HPE regarding 3PAR. I would rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ a nine out of ten. It has good support, good UI, and good reliability.
ES
Service & Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good support and very reliable, but needs better performance

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all kinds of needs, such as infrastructure needs, and application services. We are using the latest version of this solution.

• "Their support is the most valuable. The support that we are getting from HP Turkey is very good. This product is better than some of the other products in terms of reliability. It is very reliable."
  • "We are using a built-in solution in 3PAR. We are using All-Flash Storage, and there are some difficulties with it. HPE has now developed a new tool system to support All-Flash, and that's why we are changing our investment. They must increase its performance. I want unlimited support, which is very important for performance. I am not interested in spinning disks. HPE is developing new storage systems called Primera, but they must be developed more."

What other advice do I have?

The most important things are availability, scalability, reliability, stability, and performance. We are service providers, and the customers want availability. You must focus on these things before buying storage. I advise going for All-Flash Storage to all people because spinning disks take too much space and electricity and provide less performance. That's why NVMe is better. I would rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ a seven out of ten.
FM
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Performs well, the support is good, and it is a stable product

What is our primary use case?

We use the StoreServ as our main storage device. We have one unit in the main site and the other in the DR site, with replication between them. We have a file server running, it hosts our database, and it acts as our Exchange server.

• "This product has come to the end of its lifecycle."

What other advice do I have?

We are now thinking about transitioning to the HPE Nimble or Primera, although not this year. This may happen in 2022. We plan to continue using this solution for performance, and availability. We are following the recommendation of HPE. They have recently started to mention the Primera and Nimble, which is why we are studying them. We are not looking as much at Nimble because we are interested in the 100% availability that Primera has. The Primera is a little more expensive than the Nimble, so this is something that we have to think about. This is a good solution and I can recommend it. I…
    TK
    Sr, Storage Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward with good duplication but the replication is a bit complicated

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for Oracle Databases. We're are also using it for VMware and NetBackup. It's one of the storage solutions for NetBackup.

• "The solution offers good stability."
    • "The replicating software is pretty complicated. I probably would have put it on a sequence."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with HPE. Anyone interested in any solution should probably research the software that comes with their own system a little bit better. If you do that, there's a chance that you might not buy some of the things that we bought and that were defaulted on setup. That was not good. Knowing what works together well will help in the long run. Don't be afraid if a third-party asks you questions. They're probably just trying to get to the bottom of how your setup looks. I'd rate the solution six out of ten overall.
    Ricky Santos
    System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
    ExpertTop 5
    Fast, reliable, and provides disaster recovery for our database-related storage

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed HPE 3PAR systems on all database-related storage including MSSQL and Oracle. All of the SQL databases are running on VMware, and the database-related storage is mounted as RDM. The Oracle database is mounted directly to HPE 3PAR with remote-copy enabled.

• "Remote-copy provides high availability and disaster recovery for the connected clients."
    • "The cloud-based monitoring Infosight would be better if users are automatically enrolled in the cloud/group based on the configuration or information gathered or uploaded on the internet."

What other advice do I have?

The setup is pretty straightforward but HP only allows their engineers to do the setup. This gives us peace of mind for the setup.
    See 19 more HPE 3PAR StoreServ Reviews
    Download our free HPE 3PAR StoreServ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.